How to Store a Hard-Wired Pump For The Winter?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

Currently my pump is not hard-wired. But, from what I understand, Pumps are required to be hard-wired by code, and since I'm redoing the electrical around my pool I need to hard-wire my pump to pass inspection.

In the past, I've always brought my pump in for the winter. Is there anyway to do the electric so that I can detach the hardwired pump (without actually undoing the hard-wiring) so that I can bring it in during the winter? Like maybe some kind of adapter or something? Or does everyone just leave it outside?

Thanks

Although some people do, I've never seen any reason why you would want to bring them in. Just remove the drain plugs and make sure its has all the water out of it. I live in Massachusetts and it gets below zero here sometimes and I dont know anybody that brings it in.

Same here. I've never brought anything inside for the winter. As mentioned, make sure all the water is out, and leave everything open. Yeah, it looks a bit weathered, but never had any issues.

Well, I am going to put in one vote for taking it in. Mine is exposed to the weather and I am convinced it will last longer. Moisture on an operating pump is taken care of twice a day by the heat of the motor. On an idle pump it just sits there for months corroding connections and bearings, plus freeze thaw cycles can't be good for caps.

I am good with electric and pulling three wires off the timer and yanking the liquid-tight conduit off takes me maybe two minutes. Hooking up maybe three. Add 30 seconds for the bonding wire and a minute for the unions. Hard part is finding a kid to carry it into the basement.

We went through 5 motors in 57 years on our old pool, and one of those was killed by flooding from Hurricane Floyd. The fifth is still good and sitting in reserve. Current motor has six years and looks and sounds in great shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine is hard wired and I store it in my outdoor shed every season. Not as warm as my house, but at least its not exposed directly to the weather in the northeast. Im not sure if code says I need it hard wired......Ive been thinking about getting a waterproof plug/receptacle connection instead of having to deal with wiring the terminals every season.

The filter, however, stays outdoors of course. I used to bring the multiport in but I stopped doing that too. It all seems to take the weather fine, although the multiport seems to get "sticky" faster.....just need to take it apart and grease the seals every now and then and its back to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.