Calcium Chloride

Froom Pool School:
CH - Calcium Hardness

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

Most of us do dissolve it in a bucket of pool water.

Thanks. I'm kinda new to the whole "household items" to keep your pool going good. This is going to save me alot of money this way. This site is awsome. If I think about the money I spent for the last 7years on chemicals. A new BBQ Grill is on its way now.

Keep in mind that when you dissolve calcium chloride in water it gets rather hot. This isn't usually a problem as long as you are aware of it. You don't want to be reaching your hand into the bucket or spilling it on yourself right after mixing the calcium chloride with water.

JasonLion said:
Keep in mind that when you dissolve calcium chloride in water it gets rather hot. This isn't usually a problem as long as you are aware of it. You don't want to be reaching your hand into the bucket or spilling it on yourself right after mixing the calcium chloride with water.

Why does one need calcium chloride in a fiberglass pool? Is it for equipment reasons?

TripleB4me said:
JasonLion said:

Why does one need calcium chloride in a fiberglass pool? Is it for equipment reasons?
It helps prevent cobalt spotting and helps protect fiberglass from staining. Could be more reasons....?

JasonLion said:

I know how that is. I was told the same thing and felt the bucket and it was hot. I also touched the end of the pole I was using and it was hot. Had to be careful when I was pouring it in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mynewpool said:
JasonLion said:

I know how that is. I was told the same thing and felt the bucket and it was hot. I also touched the end of the pole I was using and it was hot. Had to be careful when I was pouring it in.
Also, use a non-reactive stirrer, like wood or plastic.

mynewpool said:
JasonLion said:

The recommendation I've seen is no more than 2lb calcium chloride per gallon in the bucket, to avoid excessive heat.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.