Pool Heater-Gas or Electric?

May 19, 2010
Evansville, IN
Hello everyone, great forum. We are getting an inground pool installed in 2 weeks. It is 36X18 rectangle. We went with the SWG and an auto pool cover. We live in Southern Indiana. We plan on using the Pool from May-October. The heater will give us an extra 2-4 weeks of swimming. I have learned that an auto cover will be very useful with a heater. Up front, the gas heater will be less than the electric heater. Since we will only use it in May and October, and natural gas prices extremely high, I am leaning towards gas. But over time will an electric heater be much cheaper than a gas heater?

Welcome to TFP!
I want to extend a special welcome to my fellow S. Indiana member!
You'll love this site.

Congratulations on your pool and please read Pool School in the upper left corner so you can start off right..

(psst...we love pictures.) :wave:

When you say electric heater, do you mean a heat pump?

A few questions will help with the analysis.

1) What are your gas rates
2) what are your electric rates
3) how warm do you intend to heat the pool
4) In heating season, would you want to use your pool only on weekends, or during the week as well
5) how big is your pool (both area and gallons)

Welcome to TFP. I wouldn't count on much October swimming, even with heat. The air is just too cold here to make it very attractive. Normally the same in the first half of May. You can get the water warm enough, but it's cold when you stand up or get out of the pool. My personal experience is that the heater is most beneficial in warming the pool a few extra degrees right in the middle of the season.

I assume you are referring to a heat pump and not a true electric.

Heat Pumps and Gas Heaters differ quite a bit in operation. Heat pumps aren't usually large enough to quickly heat a pool, so it's normal to run them all the time, or at least much of the time, to keep the pool warm. Large gas heaters can make a significant temperature difference overnight, so they are handy for warming the pool up for the weekend, although they can be used continuously as well. When comparing prices on the heaters, make sure you find out if you need to upgrade your home's gas line and meter. This can cost some money that may change the economics.

Some of it comes down to personal preference, but some years there isn't much swimming weather here after Labor Day. I have solar heat, and can usually hold my pool near 90 through September, but we may only swim once or twice after Labor Day except for an occasional dip for swimming laps.

If you have an unshaded southern or western roof exposure, consider solar heat. Far cheaper to operate and cheaper to install.

Just a note on extending the swimming season. All of that is really a matter of opinion. We get in 82-83 degree water at night when the temps are in the mid 50's. We use the pool in early may, and right up to close around columbus day. For us, the heat pump does extend the season by a bunch. Again, it's personel preference some people wont get in the water if it's not 80 degrees plus out. If thats the case, no, a heater wont extend much. We New Englanders have pretty thick skin. To us, whats cold may be much different to those that live further south.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.