AGP >42"considered inground by code?? [was "permanent"]

Re: AGP >42" to skimmer considered inground by code??

Did they give you the code verbage to substantiate that?

What exactly about it doesn't meet code?

Tread lightly if it's not a big expense to bring it to code. You might face a "win the battle, lose the war" situation.

Re: AGP >42" to skimmer considered inground by code??

Looks like my electrician has to come back. Good that he's very conscientious in what he's doing. I guess I was more aware of the permit reqs than he. The 42" involves being a "permanent" structure and was why I had to get a pool permit in addition to the electrical permit. I was aware of that, but when he said inground I was worried they'd want hard wired or twistlocks everywhere even though I measured the 5 &10' distances I could site equip. He ran the service from the house and put a new panel in a 10x20 shed near the pool and then ran the service from there to the pad. He's got to pipe the service in the shed. Right now it is bare wire run along the rafters and piped down underground to the pad.

Good news is that the inspector said I can fill the trench and don't have to worry anymore about 3 little kids breaking a leg.

Oh, I am offsite so this was via phone. Inspector canceled last 3 visits so couldn't keep ducking out of the office.

In this county if the structure is taller than 42" (and I guess they measure to mid skimmer for depth), then it is a "permanent" pool, even if above ground. A permanent pool has to meet a different electrical code (and building permits are required) than one that is considered temporary (and no permits required). That I was aware of. The electrician and I discussed the service to the shed in depth, but not from the shed to the GFCI outlet for the pump/filter pad. The electrician claims he was working from a more updated code book (2008) than the inspector (2002). No matter now, it is taken care of and I can fill in that trench.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.