Help to get pool clear

May 17, 2010
Trying for weeks to get water clear. Using liquid chlorine and trichlor in floater. Keeps registering 0 FC and TC Last night shocked after an hour numbers were
TC 10
FC 10
TA 120
PH 7.8
TH 300

This morning cloudy conditions and some rain last night but no sun today.
TC 3
FC 3-5
TA 120
PH 7.2
TH 250-500

CYA on Saturday at pool place was 60
Water temp 68

Using test strips ordering kit today so I can BBB been reading posts for the last weeks. Do I need to re shock again tonight until the FC holds to 10+ in morning? should I use more shock then last night is that why it didn't hold and how do I determine how much to use. Took the foater out because my CYA level is so high. Do I need to dump water? Thinking of adding Borates this weekend after get pool clear. Today I can finally see the bottom of the pool but still cloudy when I opened it was a swamp. Thanks for any help a newbee :-D
Central VA

Yes, you should continue to shock and keep the shock levels up until it holds over night (no more then .5 loss). Use the pool calculator here http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to determine what level of shock you need to be at and how much to put in to achieve that level. I don't think you need to dump water, your CYA level may be ok as is, I would keep the trichlor out. Wait until you get the water clean before adding Borates.

No you can manage with 60.
Refer to the CYA Chart for your shock level- use the pool calculator to determine how much bleach to add.
Your strips won't measure that high - so you'll have to maintain shock level as best you can till you get the kit.
Hold off on the borates for a while - get to know your pool a bit better. :)

Welcome to TFP!

Glad to hear you are ordering a good kit. This will pay for itself quickly.

You can run with a CYA of 60. It just takes more chlorine.

Shocking is a process, rather than a one time event. You know when you are finished shocking when your overnight FC loss is 1 or less. You must get the FC in your pool to shock level and hold it there as best you can until the process is complete. With a CYA of 60, this means that you would need to raise your FC to 24. 10 is just not going to get you clear. Check out Shocking Your Pool for more information on that.

Go ahead and start reading the Pool School articles and get familiar with things. Definitely stop using the tablets. You CYA is already high and those will just add to it. The best thing to shock with is simple household bleach.

From my experience the bubble can sometimes just be the chlorine oxidizing things in the pool, mine stuck around for a week then went away on its own, shouldn't be anything to worry about. Yes sometimes it will increase with increased chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.