PH went down but TA went up

May 17, 2010
I just finished shocking my pool with bleach, 2 days ago I put in 4 lbs of CYA and enough acid to bring the PH down from 8 to 7.2, my TA at the time was 120. When I just checked it my PH is at 7.2 but my TA went up to 140, my FC is still a bit high at 10. We had some rain, less then a 1/2 inch. What could have brought the TA up? I am testing all this with my Taylor Test Kit.

Here's a quote from Dave in this thread:
I believe your issue is static electricity. I've had two other reports the past few days.

If that's the problem, the R-009 reagent sort of shoots off the dropper tip and the drops are noticeably smaller, even though the dropper tips are identical throughout the kit.

The solution is to wipe the dropper tip in between each drop (or every 2-3 drops) with a damp cloth or damp paper towel. This always seems to work.

The issue is documented in Taylor's website but I'll be darned if I can figure out why it happens.

This WILL cause a higher T/A test reading.

I did notice that the drop seemed to hang on to the tip, I thought this would make the drop larger then normal, which I would think would give me a lower reading, maybe that is what happened on the first test, I will start to wipe the tip from now on and pay more attention to the size of the drops. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.