Re-configure pumps?

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
Howdy all
I have a pretty complex system, see below.
The main 1.5hp outlet goes to 2 places: directly to the jets, and through a seconday 0.75hp pump, then the salt cell, then the floor system.

The current system flows kinda weird when both pumps are on. The jets get little flow while the floor system is uber-powerful. I think the 2nd pump was added as a 'booster' when the salt cell was added to the pool 3-4yrs ago.

The flow seems more balanced when the 2nd pump is turned off. Jet pressure is better and the main pump is quieter. Plus I'm saving a bunch of watts.

In the interest of 1) running the system longer (needed for the salt cell) 2) saving some utility cost 3) re-balancing the flow, I'm considering re-plumbing the system to take the 'booster' pump out of line, seperated by isolation valves. It could be put back in line as a true booster if/when needed.

What do you think?

-A few other points to consider:
The system (both pumps running) keeps the water clean and sparkly running only 4hrs a day. But this is not enough for the salt cell.

-Salt cell is a bit undersized: clearwater lm2-24 for a 33k pool. It seems to need more like 6hrs minimum to keep Cl levels.

-I've been running the 1.5hp motor only for 6hrs a day for the last several weeks with good results. But salt cell/floor system flow seems kinda low. Taking the 0.75hp pump out of line would help reduce pressure drop and hopefully re-balance the flow.
untitled.jpg

If I were going to replumb the system I'd move the SWCG to the discharge of the filter, replumb the booster pump as you depict, add a 3-way valve in the filter discharge where it splits between the jets and floor, add a 3-way valve on the suction of the main pump where the skimmers and MD merge.

That would allow you more control of the system and allow flow through the SWCG no matter how you're running it. The 3-way valves would allow you to balance the flow between the skimmers and MD and between the floor and jets.

thanks I like that idea.
I do have a 3-way on the suction of the main pump, not shown.
It also has a 3-way on the line going to the jets, to split between jets & fountain (not shown)

Just thought: should I use the 0.75hp as the main pump, long run time, and 1.5 hp as the 'booster'?

acroy said:
Just thought: should I use the 0.75hp as the main pump, long run time, and 1.5 hp as the 'booster'?
If the 1½hp is a 2-speed I'd leave it as the main but if it's not I'd consider using the 3/4hp as the main. Of course you could plumb them parallel to each other and use whichever you needed to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.