Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding sequestrant

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding sequestrant

At what point do you need to add sequestrant, say for iron? Do you wait for the stains to appear or is this a preventative measure? I ask because when I do my ch test my test solution turns purple not blue. I read that when the sample turns purple it is a sign you have metals...iron in the water.
    I am tempted to take the pool water in to be tested for iron but from reading here the pool store testing is not always accurate.
    Any suggestions and what is the best sequestrant to buy?
    Also, my pool was filled in the fall of 09 with municipal water but I have a well I use for topping off the pool and I know there is iron present in the well water.
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding sequestrant

Jack's Magic, Proteam Metal Magic and GLB Sequa Sol are all good brands. HTH Metal Control sold at Walmart is another HEDP based like those, and is good plus less pricey.
    It is a preventative measure.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

If you don't have any specific reason to suspect metals in the water, and the pool wasn't just plastered, then there isn't normally any need to use sequestrant at all. You can see purple in the CH test for a couple of reasons, I wouldn't automatically assume that you have iron in the water. I would just skip the sequestrant until you have some additional indications of metals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you don't have any specific reason to suspect metals in the water, and the pool wasn't just plastered, then there isn't normally any need to use sequestrant at all. You can see purple in the CH test for a couple of reasons, I wouldn't automatically assume that you have iron in the water. I would just skip the sequestrant until you have some additional indications of metals.

What would indications of iron in the water be other than testing? I'm just wondering since I probably will be adding water to the pool from my well after backwashing and having lots of kids in the pool!

Thanks for all your help!
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

5. Back To Top    #5

Yellow or brown stains that clear up with vitamin C, sparkling clear yellow or green water, and a positive test for iron are all clear signs to use sequestrant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School