pool open tomorrow

Apr 28, 2010
Central NJ
I have a pool company opening my pool tomorrow, but I'm going to request them to not use any chemicals. I have the TF-100 and want to use the BBB method. Just to make sure what steps I should follow tomorrow after the pool has been opened:

1) place the valve in recirc and turn the pump on for two hours and then test the water
2) start a thread with my numbers from the test kit and ask for help :roll:
3) place chemicals into the pool according to the pool calculator with responses from (2) above
4) place nylons stockings on my skimmers
5) vaccum pool....should I vaccum in waste mode?

Don't be afraid to add bleach during the fill. I have seen my fill water start to go green in the past before I can get it high enough to use the pump. Just add bleach and stir by brushing . You are going to need stabilizer added so have that on hand and start that ASAP. Take a sample of your fill water and test it. Do not waste a test on cya, it will be 0 at this point.
Untill it is filled , there should not be any other problems that need to be taken care of. After the pump is running you can make whatever adjustments are needed.

If you had CYA in your pool last season do not assume it went to 0 over the winter! Most pools do not loose their stabilizer after being closed and if they do then they need to be checked for ammonia! Run a complete set of tests and post here if you have any questions. If there is a lot of crud in your pool then go ahead and vacuum to waste, otherwise you can vacuum through the filter. If you do decide to vacuum to waste add the chemicals and test after you finish vacuuming since you will loose quite a bit of water to waste.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Sounds like you've done your homework :) I'd probably place number 4 ahead of number 1 though, but that's just me.
If your pool is relatively clear I wouldn't waste the water vacuuming to waste. However, if there's a bunch of stuff on the bottom it might be worth it. Really a judgement call on your part.

ok, so I have put the "socks" on the skimmers and I'm running the pump on recirc. I'm trying to do the the clorine drop test with the tft-100 kit, and the water is not turning pink. the directions say to use "one HEAPING scoop" of R-870. Am I not using enough powder? What's the difference between one scoop and one HEAPING scoop?

jrguzmanr said:
ok, so I have put the "socks" on the skimmers and I'm running the pump on recirc. I'm trying to do the the clorine drop test with the tft-100 kit, and the water is not turning pink. the directions say to use "one HEAPING scoop" of R-870. Am I not using enough powder? What's the difference between one scoop and one HEAPING scoop?
Probably.

A heaping scoop means there's a pile above the scoop. Two level scoops, essentially.

so i went to ask help to the know-it-all (and yes she really does), and said it is a little pink, so I went and did the other tests....here they are...

FC .5
CC .5
TA 120
CH 90
CYA 70

and just so that we are all on the same page, I have not yet placed any chemicals into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water is a little cludy but not much, and it is up to the top of the skimmer. My apologies for not stating this before. There is debris which I wanted to vaccum, but the ends of the hose are broken. By ends, I mean where you attach it to the skimmer and the brush. This leads me to another question, can the hose be fixed?

Yes.
One source
22546.jpg

If the hose is looking weatherbeaten and likely to crack, just replace it. They're fairly cheap. I got mine at Lowes, when I had a 20% off coupon.

jrguzmanr said:
The water is a little cludy but not much, and it is up to the top of the skimmer. My apologies for not stating this before. There is debris which I wanted to vaccum, but the ends of the hose are broken. By ends, I mean where you attach it to the skimmer and the brush. This leads me to another question, can the hose be fixed?

I also want to add that there is dirt in the bottom of the pool. Which is why I think I should vacuum to waste.

I did the pool calculator and it says that I need 23 jugs of bleach but I only have 6. Should I pour that in tonight and get more tomorrow?

jrguzmanr said:
I did the pool calculator and it says that I need 23 jugs of bleach but I only have 6. Should I pour that in tonight and get more tomorrow?
Is it really 38000 gallons? That's a big pool! Double check the math.

If you're going to shock, and it needs 23 gallons to get it up to level, you might as well buy 50 gallons. Because 23 will only get it to the shock level initially. Algae will start consuming it right away. Pay a visit to Pool School. It will explain lots of it and save a lot of typing.

according to the paperwork I found (I purchased the house a few months ago), it's a 20x43 rectangular, 8' on the deep end and 4' in the shallow. From what I've read it,
the formula is 20 x 43 x 6 x 7.5 = 38,700 gallons. I will pass by lowes tomorrow for the hose and by sams for more bleach.....lots more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.