Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool open tomorrow

1. Back To Top    #1

pool open tomorrow

I have a pool company opening my pool tomorrow, but I'm going to request them to not use any chemicals. I have the TF-100 and want to use the BBB method. Just to make sure what steps I should follow tomorrow after the pool has been opened:

1) place the valve in recirc and turn the pump on for two hours and then test the water
    2) start a thread with my numbers from the test kit and ask for help
    3) place chemicals into the pool according to the pool calculator with responses from (2) above
    4) place nylons stockings on my skimmers
    5) vaccum pool....should I vaccum in waste mode?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool open tomorrow

Don't be afraid to add bleach during the fill. I have seen my fill water start to go green in the past before I can get it high enough to use the pump. Just add bleach and stir by brushing . You are going to need stabilizer added so have that on hand and start that ASAP. Take a sample of your fill water and test it. Do not waste a test on cya, it will be 0 at this point.
    Untill it is filled , there should not be any other problems that need to be taken care of. After the pump is running you can make whatever adjustments are needed.
    coloeb,
    20k gal. IG fiberglass/plaster rectangle 32'x16'
    Hayward Superpump 3/4 H.P. primary Hayward model 5060 Booster Pump
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter
    Pentair Model 320 automatic Chlorine/bromine in-line feeder

3. Back To Top    #3

If you had CYA in your pool last season do not assume it went to 0 over the winter! Most pools do not loose their stabilizer after being closed and if they do then they need to be checked for ammonia! Run a complete set of tests and post here if you have any questions. If there is a lot of crud in your pool then go ahead and vacuum to waste, otherwise you can vacuum through the filter. If you do decide to vacuum to waste add the chemicals and test after you finish vacuuming since you will loose quite a bit of water to waste.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

Sounds like you've done your homework I'd probably place number 4 ahead of number 1 though, but that's just me.
    If your pool is relatively clear I wouldn't waste the water vacuuming to waste. However, if there's a bunch of stuff on the bottom it might be worth it. Really a judgement call on your part.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, so I have put the "socks" on the skimmers and I'm running the pump on recirc. I'm trying to do the the clorine drop test with the tft-100 kit, and the water is not turning pink. the directions say to use "one HEAPING scoop" of R-870. Am I not using enough powder? What's the difference between one scoop and one HEAPING scoop?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr
    ok, so I have put the "socks" on the skimmers and I'm running the pump on recirc. I'm trying to do the the clorine drop test with the tft-100 kit, and the water is not turning pink. the directions say to use "one HEAPING scoop" of R-870. Am I not using enough powder? What's the difference between one scoop and one HEAPING scoop?
    Probably.

A heaping scoop means there's a pile above the scoop. Two level scoops, essentially.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

You have zero FC in your pool. One heaping scoop was enough.

What are the other test results?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

no pink = no chlorine Maybe I missed it but you can't do the overnight test unles you actually added chlorine to the pool
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

so i went to ask help to the know-it-all (and yes she really does), and said it is a little pink, so I went and did the other tests....here they are...

FC .5
    CC .5
    TA 120
    CH 90
    CYA 70

and just so that we are all on the same page, I have not yet placed any chemicals into the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

How does the water look? All clear of debris? Clear or colored or cloudy? How is the water level, do you need to add any water?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

The water is a little cludy but not much, and it is up to the top of the skimmer. My apologies for not stating this before. There is debris which I wanted to vaccum, but the ends of the hose are broken. By ends, I mean where you attach it to the skimmer and the brush. This leads me to another question, can the hose be fixed?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes.
    One source

If the hose is looking weatherbeaten and likely to crack, just replace it. They're fairly cheap. I got mine at Lowes, when I had a 20% off coupon.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

The water is a little cludy but not much, and it is up to the top of the skimmer. My apologies for not stating this before. There is debris which I wanted to vaccum, but the ends of the hose are broken. By ends, I mean where you attach it to the skimmer and the brush. This leads me to another question, can the hose be fixed?
    I also want to add that there is dirt in the bottom of the pool. Which is why I think I should vacuum to waste.

I did the pool calculator and it says that I need 23 jugs of bleach but I only have 6. Should I pour that in tonight and get more tomorrow?

14. Back To Top    #14

I did the pool calculator and it says that I need 23 jugs of bleach but I only have 6. Should I pour that in tonight and get more tomorrow?
    Is it really 38000 gallons? That's a big pool! Double check the math.

If you're going to shock, and it needs 23 gallons to get it up to level, you might as well buy 50 gallons. Because 23 will only get it to the shock level initially. Algae will start consuming it right away. Pay a visit to Pool School. It will explain lots of it and save a lot of typing.

15. Back To Top    #15

according to the paperwork I found (I purchased the house a few months ago), it's a 20x43 rectangular, 8' on the deep end and 4' in the shallow. From what I've read it,
    the formula is 20 x 43 x 6 x 7.5 = 38,700 gallons. I will pass by lowes tomorrow for the hose and by sams for more bleach.....lots more.