Leaking shoulder jet, sealant recommendation?

poolgirl22

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2010
Stephens City, VA
During our deck refurb we drained, disconnected, moved, then refilled the hot tub today. I refilled from the pool so I didn't have to mess with adding CYA and that water was already balanced.

First the pump wouldn't prime and DH and I just kept looking at each other blankly. Then I studied the 'innerds', asked myself why my pool pump would not get a prime, (uh, lack of water) and realized that a valve had been closed by mistake when reconnecting the electricals. Duh..a simple raise of the plunger and Voila!! It primed. :party: It's the little things in life that bring one greatest joy...

I had noticed some water scaling on the insides so I suspected a leak.

I found it when the water was nearly to the full level, of course! It is a shoulder jet and appears to be leaking around the base of the connection. There is some existing sealant/caulking/whatever but it is only about half way around the base. It also doesn't seem to be leaking when the pump/aeration cycles are running, just when the water sits. If you put your finger over the hole it also stops leaking.

I've attached a photo. My question is just...what do I use to reseal this spot? We have caulk guns, etc and I assume it is some kind of sealant administered the same way, but just wonder what is the proper thing to use.

Also, is there anything else that should be done instead?

Attachments

• leakingvalve.jpg
    leakingvalve.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks! I got stopped on this project when I pulled the jet cover piece out and it was broken inside the white thing, which is likely the cause of my initial leaking. I'm waiting on the threaded jet cover piece to be shipped to me. Then I'll be proceeding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.