Went from black swamp to blue, but still having problems

Jul 20, 2009
SC
We bought a house last year that had been abandoned for 4 years, so the pool was a mess.

I had followed the pool stores advise for about 3 months with no results. Came on here and used the BBB method to turn it blue. We actually got to swim in it a few times last year!!
Apparently it wasn't totally good though and started getting some algae in the fall. With everything going on and still trying to get the house livable we let it go.
Now that its warming up we are ready to go swimming. I used bleach to shock it and got it clean amazingly quick, well after redoing all the plumbing on the filter that was leaking so bad it wouldn't hold a prime.
It seemed good for about a week, was holding free chlorine as it should. Then it started dropping like crazy. Figured there must be some algae hiding. I scrubbed out everything including the filter box, the ladder and all. Still loosing chlorine. Finally found some green algae hiding in the seam of the steps. Scrubbed that out and shocked it again. Still loosing chlorine. It will go from a 10 to NOTHING overnight. Then I started noticing some yellow mustard like algae in a few spots, on the seams of the liner in the deep end and in a few spots on the shallow end. I brought the fc up to a 16 and kept it there for 5 days. Didn't see any signs of algae. Well Im still loosing all my fc overnight. Out of desperation we went to the pool store, had them test the water, bought the algaecide and shock they told us to and tried that, Still loosing all my fc!!! Im still getting what looks like mustard algae in a few spots, not on the walls like everyone says. Itll be on the bottom of the deep end where there is a seam in the liner and in a few spots on the shallow end, I think there are indents on the bottom where it is. My pool gets pretty much equal sun and shade, one side sun in the morning the other in the afternoon (I dont know if that matters)
Is this mustard algae?
I getting ready to drain the pool and start over, would have already done it if the ground water wasnt so high. This thing has been a money pit, Ive already spent so much on bleach alone that the wal mart people looked like they were ready to call the police. I know once we get it rite it wont be bad, but how do I get it rite!?

Hey Jackie...sorry to hear that. How are you testing your water? Can you post a full set of results?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA
CH
Salt (if applicable)

edit...I see John T beat me to it...anyway, above are the results we'll need

I only have a 3 way kit, tested it a little while ago, got
FC-0
PH- 7.8
TA- 40
Added 4 bottles of bleach and my FC went up to a 14 (kit only goes up to 10 so Im cutting the pool water to test)

When we had the pool store test it I know the CYA was a 24, I cant remember the rest of the results. Tried to buy a better kit tonight and no one had em. I guess Ill take more water back to the pool store tomorrow AM.

tftestkits.net

I highly reccomend the TF100 or TF100XL if you can afford it...if not then at least the TF-50

A taylor k2006 should be your only other choice as test kits are concerned. The rest do not test all of the above parameters

Thanks, I was hoping to find one local, I hate waiting! It seems no one has them, heck it seems like everyone stopped selling the drop test kits here too, I had to go to 4 stores before I found anything but the strips. I have 1 more place to check then Ill order one off the net.

Ill add baking soda in the AM to raise the TA then take some water over to the pool store. Stupid question, what exactly does the TA do? I know its supposed to help stabalize the PH, but anything else?

just FYI ... TFtestkits.net is owned by the same person (screenname Duraleigh) as TFP, although I believe Dave already started selling the testkits before purchasing the TFP website. Bottom line, he provides the best value as far as the quanitity of reagents in the kits and his customer service is OUTSTANDING not to mention he keeps this awsome resource we have come to know as TFP going day after day.

Most orders before 2pm est are shipped same day and for somone on the east coast, it's common for you to receive the kit next day.

I am no way related to Dave...but I give this website and TFtestkits.net net a big :goodjob:

Jackie5_0 said:
Thanks, I was hoping to find one local, I hate waiting! It seems no one has them, heck it seems like everyone stopped selling the drop test kits here too, I had to go to 4 stores before I found anything but the strips. I have 1 more place to check then Ill order one off the net.

Ill add baking soda in the AM to raise the TA then take some water over to the pool store. Stupid question, what exactly does the TA do? I know its supposed to help stabalize the PH, but anything else?

I ordered my kit on a wednesday or thursday and had it on saturday morning. I think you are closer to the point of sale so it would be super fast. The only way to know what is going on with your water is to test it yourself. The TFT 100 or XL version is worth every penny.

You won't be sorry.

So the pool store is closed till the weekend. I did manage to find a 5 way kit, it's the strips, but at least it's something. Im ordering a good kit also.
Here is what Im getting rite now, havent added bleach since last night.
Total Chlorine- 0.5
FC- 0
PH- 6.8
TA- 40 (I have been adding baking soda and it hasent budged, still adding)
CYA- 0 (The pool had been down about 2' from vacuuming so Im guessing all the new water brought it down?)

I think I need to bring my everything up, but in what order? Whats the best way to raise the CYA (what product?) Would my low CYA explain all the chlorine use? And is that why Im getting what looks like mustard algae?
Need guidance please...

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add 150 ounces of baking soda to raise the TA to 90. This will also bring the pH up some. Next raise the chlorine to 10 which should be shock level for your pool by adding 2 gallons, 2 quarts of 6% bleach. Add 67 ounces of stabilizer to raise the CYA to 30. Put the stabilizer in a clean sock and tie it so it hangs in front of a return. Keep the pump running until all the CYA dissolves. Wait about 1/2 hour after adding baking soda to add the bleach, then add the CYA. You can test the TA, pH, and FC about an hour after they have been added, it may take a week for the CYA to register.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.