Want Light for inground vinyl pool

May 24, 2007
Memphis, TN
Is there a (cost efficent) way to add a light to an in-ground vinyl pool? To the best of my knowledge there is not previously wired electric or other equipment installed in the wall when the pool was built. We were not the owners then, so I don't really know. Of course, there is concrete surrounding the pool and a diving board that is centered where a light should/would be installed. The liner is about 5 or 6 yrs old and in excellent shape, so no future replacement on the horizon.

Is this something that could be done or pretty much a waste till I have a liner to replace?

Thanks for any input and suggestion towards lighting a pool.

Lee

when it comes time to replace the liner maybe you'll get lucky and find a light niche that's been plated off with metal. Unlikely though. Regardless I've found that people often want to get rid of their pool lights because they don't use them or they just attract bugs to the light and then end up on the surface of the water. Unless you really want an underwater light I'd recommend some lighting outside the pool facing towards the water since most of the bugs will go for the direct light source.

Thanks for the reply. Its what I had thought, that I will have to wait for a liner replacement before addressing this. I'm hoping there is some kind of plate there....if not, then would like to look into having one installed. Kids like to "see" in the water more than outdoor lighting can really provide. Plus I like the idea of the intellibright type lights that can be better controled (color, etc) to reduce the bug attraction. Additonally, I have a bug spray system that works quite well at reducing our discomfort in that area.

So, for now...it's limited night swimming and using the outdoor lights as best as possible.

You might want to look into the Savi Melody lights. They fit into a standard wall fitting so no niche is required, shouldnt be tough to install. And they are only 12 volt so wiring is really easy. You can see what they look like in my post; diy-pool-project-t11004-160.html
Here is the installation manual for use with vinyl;
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/sav ... lguide.pdf
They only cost $175 plus $75 for the transformer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.