New Autopilot and Waiting for FC level to drop to Run SWG!

Apr 28, 2010
Our Arizona 15K gallon pebble tec pool, with no SWG, got algae. We've been shocking it with bleach the last few days and it looks good. Used the pool calculator! Finally our newly ordered Autopilot DIG 220 and SC-48 cell arrived. Leslie's installed yesterday. Read the manual and found can't start the unit until FC is between 1-3. Installer said don't start pump and we have to wait until FC gets down to start SWG. FC was at 7 this am, tested by Leslies. I tested 2 hours later and got 13 with my new FAS DPD kit. What/whose test is more accurate and must I wait until FC is 3? My CYA last tested at 125 by Leslies and 3 days earlier they tested it at 90. So thought I should have higher FC target level. Please help! I did have a return flight tomorrow to Michigan - guess not! :shock:

jwoodrt said:
found can't start the unit until FC is between 1-3
That isn't really true, you can run the SWG at higher FC levels. If you look at our Water Balance for SWGs article, we recommend keeping FC between 3 and 5 when CYA is around 70 to 80, and higher FC levels are fine when CYA is higher than that. That is a great article to read, it can help you avoid lots of common pitfalls.

The FAS-DPD chlorine test is the most reliable test available for measuring FC and CC.

Thanks Jason. I've read that article about 4 times in the last several days. Where do I find what FC I should use with my SWG when I have CYA level around 90 to 120 ( I need to do the test next and rely on my readings). Anyway the CYA/FC chart for SWG's doesn't go that high.

Thanks!

You can use the Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature. Enter your CYA level in the Now column on the yellow CYA row, press tab and then read out the correct FC level from the blue Suggested FC Levels section. The normal range for a SWG would be between the "SWG" number and the "Normal" number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.