Do I need Main Drains for my AGP???

May 18, 2010
Ok newbie here....I am going to hire someone to install my 27' Tahitian AGP. One of the installers said I needed main drains because of the size of the pool and the other installer only recommended it. I know they help circulate water better but is it worth the risk of putting another hole in the liner (not to mention the extra $$$)? Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to the VGB act, remember that dual drains, 3' apart, are required when doing this. They should be tied together.

When digging the trench for the line and the drain pots, watch your height. The top of the drain pot will be meeting the liner (remember the gaskets!). Use sand, wetting it every 4-6" of depth to backfill and fill any voids. Attach the return bulkhead and skimmer to the wall.

Set the liner, apply a vac to suck out the air and begin filling. When there is 2" of water covering the drain pots, attach the ring (gasket again) to lock/seal the liner to the drains, cut in the drain with a single edge razor (carefully) and attach the drain covers. Fill to near the return, attach the face plate and gasket to it and the skimmer. Attach the plumbing. Cut in the return and skimmer.

Scott

IDK but mine's going on 9 years...I'll send you the info. :)

What I like about it since the pool is round - the kids can make a whirlpool, I get out the pole brush, we have a fun time making a current while I brush the crud/dust towards the center, and the kids try to swim against the current. With the pump on high and the bottom drain on full, all the crud gets sucked right down.

Most of the season I rarely if ever have to vacume - just swimming stirs the water up enough that the 50/50 setting picks up most everything.

I have to vacume now, I wish the water were warm enough that we could just get in and get her swirling :)

I have a main drain on my ABG as well. I won't ever install a pool without one in the future. I only have one skimmer so without the MD it would take forever to clear the pool of cloudiness or algae or what not. I sometimes go main drain full and it works very fast. Or, if I have lots of debris on the surface, I can go skimmer full or any combination thereof.

My plumbing is set up that I have valves off the pump where I can determine percentage of pull from either skimmer or MD. Then, for reasons I don't know I have another main drain shut off valve just where the pipe would come out from under the ground. I assume it's in case of drain failure between the drain and pool's edge. We don't usually shut it off for winterization or any other reason, but it's there just the same.

Our used ABG came with one too & I'm glad to say we decided to go with the main drain. We did end up replacing the cover on the drain to bring it up to code as the used one was before the more recent change.

I find that if I set the pool on the main drain, it pulls most of the floor leaves & things to the center where I can then easily get it with the vacuum.... Love it! & I'm not worried about the extra hole in my liner... We installed it as instructed and know how to care for it in the winter, so good to go.

I feel the same way i would never go without one again. The leaves/debris all go to the middle of my dish bottom AGP and i can brush it right in or if its leaves just get out the leaf vac. This has been the easiest method of cleaning so far, I have the polaris 165 and don't need it now. It takes me 15 minutes to clean the pool, and i have only had to do it after large storms from high winds blowing leaves and dirt in. I was thinking on a robot, But with the amt of work it takes me now its not needed.

We decided against a MD due to our high water table (18") and frost line my DH was concerned that the plumbing would suffer damage unless we went below the frost line (4.5') - too much work.

Ditto to what Pool-creetin said... the antifreeze works great. Plus... if you're worried about the antifreeze getting into your pool, ours didn't. Hubby opened the main drain valve and let the antifreeze run out of that pipe and onto the ground before we filled the pool back up and ran the pump.... you can easily see the antifreeze because it's pink

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.