cleaners for DE filter grids

czechscott

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2008
Does anyone use a filter grid cleaner along with a hose to clean the grids at the start or end of a season. I usually just use a power washer but I seem to remember something about soaking the grids in a solution. Has anyone tried the spray or soaking?

I don't use anything beyond a hose with an adjustable nozzle. I could imagine wanting to use a cleaner if I saw/felt them to be "sticky or gummy" from oils/lotions/cremes, etc, but after 3 years, all I've needed to do is to hose them off well. Still seem like new when I'm through.

During the season I'll wash out the grid a couple of times, usually after the pollen and other tree discharge is done falling, and that is just with the hose, however at the end of every season after is all shutdown I clean the grid with the hose again then put the grid back in the housing fill it with water and use the liquid grid cleaner, soak it in the housing over night and rinse the next day, flush and dry the housing and air dry the now white (like new) grid, reassemble the filter and its ready for a new season next year.
I most certianly removed the oils and greases, and yellow pollen staining. It always has great flow come spring start up.

jb :monkey:

Hi folks, I seem to be considered the 'guru' on this issue here, so will post my thoughts. :)

What I know, I know from a liberal mixture of experience and reading this site and PF. I authored this a few years ago and still stand by what I said.

Filter cleaners are fine, but you can accomplish the same thing with automatic dishwasher detergent or TSP. (use 1 cup to every 5 -10 gal. water and soak for 3 - 8 hours - depending on the concentration)

Most filters I run across don't need to be acid washed, but would benefit from a degreasing soak.

Most folks here, like y'all, realize that the fabric of the grids can become congested with body oils and suntan lotion, etc. so need to be 'dipped' every year or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.