algae in salt water pool

mozie

May 10, 2010
I just converted my chlorine pool to salt water. It was sparkling clear and now it has algae in it. I tested my water last night and here are the readings: Th 400, FC 5/10, Ph (lower than 6.4), TA (lower than 240), CYA 150, Salt 5650 ppm. I don't even know where to begin to remedy this problem. And I am hoping to have my pool ready for the Memorial Day holiday :wink:

welcome to TFP Mozie :wave: ...your PH is too low!!! Please raise it to 7.2 using borax (yup...20 mule team found in the grocery laudry isle)...your CYA is too high (need to lower to 70-80ppm by partial drain and fill) and is keeping the chlorine that is in your pool inactive ...btw a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. You are now just using a SWG to convert salt to chlorine using electricity.

My suggestion is to read pool school (button on upper right of this page) and order a test kit such as the tf100 from tftestkits.net or the taylor k2006...you'll see testkits discussed in pool school, but they are crucial to pool management.

Once you have a full set of test results and lower your CYA...we'll get you on the road to recovery

Is your SWG generating chlorine? 5650 ppm seems too high, unless you're in Australia or using one of their SWGs. I speculate your pool has no chlorine because you (or someone else) put in way too much salt and the SWG shut itself off.

sounds like a partial drain (about 50%?) and refill is in order, assuming all your numbers are correct. That will bring down salt and CYA (way too high at 150; could be much higher in reality).

Melt In The Sun said:
Is your SWG generating chlorine? 5650 ppm seems too high, unless you're in Australia or using one of their SWGs. I speculate your pool has no chlorine because you (or someone else) put in way too much salt and the SWG shut itself off.

sounds like a partial drain (about 50%?) and refill is in order, assuming all your numbers are correct. That will bring down salt and CYA (way too high at 150; could be much higher in reality).

I think I will try this step before I try raising any of the other levels. I probably did add to much salt. Didn't realize that the SWG would shut off. I am very new at all of this.

What are you testing with?

I'm in total agreement, iF your CYA is really 150 you need to drain at least 50% of the water and start over with rebalancing the chems. When you go to rebalance, begin with PH and TA.

If you trust the test results, do the partial drain/refill and then post back with updated test results.
No point in trying to balance your other levels if you end up just draining it out.

(tip of the day: a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. :wink: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.