Should my pump run 24hrs a day?

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
I have a 2 speed pump and the PB said to run it 24rs a day. So with a SWG I am making chlorine all day.

I have it running on High sped for 3hrs and the rest of the day low speed and the pool stays clean.

Should I shut it down for a few hrs in the middle of the night to save electricity? Or just let it run 24/7?

Hurricane, welcome :-D
Is this a new pool or have you just opened it for the season?
Usually you only need it running 24/7 when you are trying to clear it up at the beginning of the season.
After it is clean and maintaining usually 8-10 hrs a day is fine. This all depends on the size of your pool, pump etc.
It would help us if you put some info about your pool in your signature line. Gallons,type of pool, pump size, type of filter etc.

whoozer said:
Hurricane, welcome :-D
Is this a new pool or have you just opened it for the season?
Usually you only need it running 24/7 when you are trying to clear it up at the beginning of the season.
After it is clean and maintaining usually 8-10 hrs a day is fine. This all depends on the size of your pool, pump etc.
It would help us if you put some info about your pool in your signature line. Gallons,type of pool, pump size, type of filter etc.

The pool was completed in February and swimming since early April.

My signature DOES have all my info :wink:

8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
Pool's completed build 2/2010

I hope people don't get tired of my saying this :lol: but it also depends on how much stuff makes its way into your pool. In my case a low speed filtering 23/7 is needed to keep the mostly windblown dust filtered out and from settling on the bottom, which it does fairly fast so I run the cleaner for several two hour cycles round the clock. You might not have that issue.

Experimenting to see how much you need will be your best bet, observing water clarity and chem values, and maybe running more than one cycle, for a few hours a day, may be all that you need. Also, as air temps go up, you'll probably want more than one turn over a day.

Right now, with my water temp bouncing between 74 and 80, depending on how much sun or clouds we have one cycle a day is enough. When our Texas temps start to really warm up and we have less rain and mostly sizzling sun, it will take at least two turn overs a day for here.

gg=alice

geekgranny said:
I hope people don't get tired of my saying this :lol: but it also depends on how much stuff makes its way into your pool. In my case a low speed filtering 23/7 is needed to keep the mostly windblown dust filtered out and from settling on the bottom, which it does fairly fast so I run the cleaner for several two hour cycles round the clock. You might not have that issue.

Experimenting to see how much you need will be your best bet, observing water clarity and chem values, and maybe running more than one cycle, for a few hours a day, may be all that you need. Also, as air temps go up, you'll probably want more than one turn over a day.

Right now, with my water temp bouncing between 74 and 80, depending on how much sun or clouds we have one cycle a day is enough. When our Texas temps start to really warm up and we have less rain and mostly sizzling sun, it will take at least two turn overs a day for here.

gg=alice
The water is between 82-90 most days and here in South FLA we get a lot of rain. The pool gets dirt. but nothing crazy. Just grass, a few leaves and mulch.

A 2hr high cycles and 22 low keeps it clean and clear so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.