Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should my pump run 24hrs a day?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should my pump run 24hrs a day?

I have a 2 speed pump and the PB said to run it 24rs a day. So with a SWG I am making chlorine all day.

I have it running on High sped for 3hrs and the rest of the day low speed and the pool stays clean.

Should I shut it down for a few hrs in the middle of the night to save electricity? Or just let it run 24/7?
    8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Pool's completed build 2/2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should my pump run 24hrs a day?

Hurricane, welcome
    Is this a new pool or have you just opened it for the season?
    Usually you only need it running 24/7 when you are trying to clear it up at the beginning of the season.
    After it is clean and maintaining usually 8-10 hrs a day is fine. This all depends on the size of your pool, pump etc.
    It would help us if you put some info about your pool in your signature line. Gallons,type of pool, pump size, type of filter etc.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by whoozer
    Hurricane, welcome
    Is this a new pool or have you just opened it for the season?
    Usually you only need it running 24/7 when you are trying to clear it up at the beginning of the season.
    After it is clean and maintaining usually 8-10 hrs a day is fine. This all depends on the size of your pool, pump etc.
    It would help us if you put some info about your pool in your signature line. Gallons,type of pool, pump size, type of filter etc.
    The pool was completed in February and swimming since early April.

My signature DOES have all my info

8,000 Gal, 11 x 26.8ft Shotcrete Pool with "Cool Blue" Diamond Brite by ESSIG Pools with Artistic Pavers Deck
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,
    Pentair 100sqft Cartridge Filter, 6 Pool returns, Skimmer and 2 Anti-Vortex Main Drains
    Goldine AQL-PLUS w/Aqua Pod, Aqua-Rite T-CELL-15 SWG, Pentair WhisperFlo High Performance 1.5HP, 2 speed pump, Pentair IntelliBrite,

4. Back To Top    #4

I hope people don't get tired of my saying this but it also depends on how much stuff makes its way into your pool. In my case a low speed filtering 23/7 is needed to keep the mostly windblown dust filtered out and from settling on the bottom, which it does fairly fast so I run the cleaner for several two hour cycles round the clock. You might not have that issue.

Experimenting to see how much you need will be your best bet, observing water clarity and chem values, and maybe running more than one cycle, for a few hours a day, may be all that you need. Also, as air temps go up, you'll probably want more than one turn over a day.

Right now, with my water temp bouncing between 74 and 80, depending on how much sun or clouds we have one cycle a day is enough. When our Texas temps start to really warm up and we have less rain and mostly sizzling sun, it will take at least two turn overs a day for here.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry my bad it wasn't coming up on my computer guess I needed to refresh it as it didn't completely load
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by whoozer
    Sorry my bad it wasn't coming up on my computer guess I needed to refresh it as it didn't completely load
    sure

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    I hope people don't get tired of my saying this but it also depends on how much stuff makes its way into your pool. In my case a low speed filtering 23/7 is needed to keep the mostly windblown dust filtered out and from settling on the bottom, which it does fairly fast so I run the cleaner for several two hour cycles round the clock. You might not have that issue.

Experimenting to see how much you need will be your best bet, observing water clarity and chem values, and maybe running more than one cycle, for a few hours a day, may be all that you need. Also, as air temps go up, you'll probably want more than one turn over a day.

Right now, with my water temp bouncing between 74 and 80, depending on how much sun or clouds we have one cycle a day is enough. When our Texas temps start to really warm up and we have less rain and mostly sizzling sun, it will take at least two turn overs a day for here.

gg=alice
    The water is between 82-90 most days and here in South FLA we get a lot of rain. The pool gets dirt. but nothing crazy. Just grass, a few leaves and mulch.

A 2hr high cycles and 22 low keeps it clean and clear so far.

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't find the answer: what are you using to clean the pool?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't find the answer: what are you using to clean the pool?
    a old fashion hand vac