Pergola over the pool?

Aug 22, 2009
Largo, FL
Has anyone ever done this? Wife and I are kicking around ideas and she came up with that.
Or maybe a screened enclosure, but I think those are ugly as sin and very expensive as well.

We're just trying to think of some way to get some shade over the pool so we might actually use it in the summer...

Thoughts or suggestions?

I have built one over a spa but not the whole pool.

P9070053.jpg

SCEADU said:
I have built one over a spa but not the whole pool.

That is quite beautiful. :goodjob: Very exotic.

The only problem I can see is if the span across the pool is very wide. Is so you could always peak the top or use metal beams covered with wood for disguise. Of do a diagonal over one end to cut down on span length. Put it where it will shade the most.

A quicker and less expensive option would be cantilever or off set umbrella(s). I got a great deal on a near commercial one, last year, for less than $500, with no tax and free shipping.

You could also go with wind sails that use Coolaroo (sp?) fabrics. You'd have to have pretty heavy places or post's to attach them to. At their main site I think they show them being used over pools; I've seen lots of pictures of them being used over pools at any rate.

For me the easiest is off-set umbrellas. And they look nice and come in lots of colors. You are not limited to big heavy bases as there are several ways to attach them to surfaces vertical or horizontal.

gg=alice

Before we purchased our home in Fort Wort Texas we looked at several homes (all with pools) and one had a Pergola over half of the pool to give a little relief from the sun and it looked real nice. They had Wisteria growing up the sides and a spray bar was on top spraying water down (my guess to cool the pool down). Go for it if you like it.

If you have plants crawling on the pergola , you have have fun cleaning out all the leaves that will be falling into the pool.

I like the sail idea, but make sure your homeowner association is not going to make you take it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.