Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pergola over the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pergola over the pool?

Has anyone ever done this? Wife and I are kicking around ideas and she came up with that.
    Or maybe a screened enclosure, but I think those are ugly as sin and very expensive as well.

We're just trying to think of some way to get some shade over the pool so we might actually use it in the summer...

Thoughts or suggestions?
    24' AG, 2 hp 2sp brand new (Aug 09) cartridge filter & pump.
    Loads of pool toys and a very impatient little girl who wants that pool ready yesterday!. :)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pergola over the pool?

I have built one over a spa but not the whole pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by SCEADU
    I have built one over a spa but not the whole pool.
    That is quite beautiful. Very exotic.

The only problem I can see is if the span across the pool is very wide. Is so you could always peak the top or use metal beams covered with wood for disguise. Of do a diagonal over one end to cut down on span length. Put it where it will shade the most.

A quicker and less expensive option would be cantilever or off set umbrella(s). I got a great deal on a near commercial one, last year, for less than $500, with no tax and free shipping.

You could also go with wind sails that use Coolaroo (sp?) fabrics. You'd have to have pretty heavy places or post's to attach them to. At their main site I think they show them being used over pools; I've seen lots of pictures of them being used over pools at any rate.

For me the easiest is off-set umbrellas. And they look nice and come in lots of colors. You are not limited to big heavy bases as there are several ways to attach them to surfaces vertical or horizontal.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    For me the easiest is off-set umbrellas.
    That's what we're starting to look at as well.
    I was checking out the shade sails too, I like those but with our soil (almost totally sand) it might not be practical for sinking posts.

The research continues!
    24' AG, 2 hp 2sp brand new (Aug 09) cartridge filter & pump.
    Loads of pool toys and a very impatient little girl who wants that pool ready yesterday!. :)

5. Back To Top    #5

Before we purchased our home in Fort Wort Texas we looked at several homes (all with pools) and one had a Pergola over half of the pool to give a little relief from the sun and it looked real nice. They had Wisteria growing up the sides and a spray bar was on top spraying water down (my guess to cool the pool down). Go for it if you like it.
    16,000 gal IG Double Roman Plaster Pool (16yrs - plaster redone 2014)
    Pentair FNS-48 DE filter with WhisperFlo 2HP single speed pump
    Polaris 280 robot
    BBB all the way and tested with a TF100 kit
    Pool Calc user

6. Back To Top    #6

I've thought of building one that the "slats" (for lack of a better term) actually rotated on axis so that they could be adjusted to accomodate the angle of the sun.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have plants crawling on the pergola , you have have fun cleaning out all the leaves that will be falling into the pool.

I like the sail idea, but make sure your homeowner association is not going to make you take it down.
    The Arcadian Dragonfly
    20,000 Gallon, vinyl IG with sand filter.