What size fittings for discharge

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
I am wanting to run a flexible hose out the discharge side of the my filter for when I backwash. I am just wanting something temporary for this year and was hoping to find the right fittings pretty easily. Can anyone tell me what size fittings I need to do this? You can find my specs on the filter in my signature. Thanks.

Jeff74 said:
I am wanting to run a flexible hose out the discharge side of the my filter for when I backwash. I am just wanting something temporary for this year and was hoping to find the right fittings pretty easily. Can anyone tell me what size fittings I need to do this? You can find my specs on the filter in my signature. Thanks.

What size pipe is the discharge, inside and outside diameter? That will make a huge difference.

I was at Leslie's yesterday and they had two sizes (diameter) of the roll up backwash hose (when not in use it is flat and rolls up to a nice compact size). My discharge is a 1.5" pipe and I want to run a vac hose up to the pool to recapture the water by running it through a Slime Bag. The ends of the vacuum hose do not fit on the 1.5" pipe. I've tried several things but decided the easiest would be to attach a short piece of the backwash hose on the pipe and then clamped and then attach the other end over the vac hose and clamped. I asked the manager, at Leslie's if the smaller (what I call "normal" bw hose) would fit over the 1.5" pipe and he said it would fit but a tight fit, then clamp. The larger diameter would be easier but I wasn't going to pay that much for just a short piece off it.

You can get the bw hose cheaper at Walmart probably but not sure if it is as "sturdy" as one you would get at pool store or on line. I really don't know.

BTW.... there are several types of clamps to hold the hose on, stainless steel, plastic, or pipe ties. Leslie's sells the metal ones for that use.

There a lot of people whole keep their backwash hose attached to the discharge pipe all the time and just roll it up and tuck it out of the way. Some members will be along soon to comment. For some of us with dogs who like to use most things as toys this won't work unless we can keep the dogs away from the pumping station.

gg=alice

Thanks for the quick reply. I very quickly went to Amazon and looked up some backwash hoses. Seems they are a bit expensive. I guess I will need the fitting too? Is this something you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot? I was hoping I could get away with a smaller, less expensive hose since I will be hard piping it into the drain for my yard after this year.

Jeff74 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. I very quickly went to Amazon and looked up some backwash hoses. Seems they are a bit expensive. I guess I will need the fitting too? Is this something you can buy at Lowes/Home Depot? I was hoping I could get away with a smaller, less expensive hose since I will be hard piping it into the drain for my yard after this year.

Did you use "backwash hose", all departments, at Amazon. They have some listed as low as ~$8. The other day the one I purchased at Leslie's is 25 ft, 1.5 in for $14.99. That's probably more than the price at Walmart, Lowe's/HD.

Fitting.... I always forget what they call them but you can use a metal band clamp, the one that has notches in it that tightens with a screw driver. They aren't very expensive. But, gosh, if you have plastic ties around, that should work too. I use those for everything, including fencing. If one is too short I just use one or more to make longer ties. I'm thinking about putting a bit of the hose, cut into a strip, wrapped around where the clamp fitting will be, between the fitting and hose, to cushion it a bit from the metal. I already have the band fitting as I keep them in all sizes for different jobs around the "Dawg Ranch". :lol:

When I'm working with anything vinyl like, hoses, tubes, etc., it's usually helpful to have a container of near boiling water to soften up the hose, etc., making it easier to fit over things. I do this all the time mending or working with garden hoses and others things.

gg=alice

Yea, I looked on there, but was wanting something with Prime, unfortunately, those cheaper ones require a shipping charge because they come from 3rd party sellers. I only purchase from Amazon directly for convenience and the quality CS I get from them.

I have a drain pipe in the ground about 10 ft away from the filter, so I may just want to hard plumb that portion right now.

i have the model filter above yours(with the same pump) and all my fittings are 1 1/2", including the "waste" fitting for backwashing. I bought a 1 1/2" x 50' BW flexible hose last year for like 20 bucks last year. The fitting that the pool guys put on my unit is kind of a stepped fitting, and the hose i have fits snugly on the fattest part of the fitting. I want to plumb mine too.

--chris

This is my first post pm TFP. This thread isn't closed that I can tell. I'm not sure if I should post to it or start a new thread. I gave the rules a glance and decided to post here even though the last post here was 6 years ago. Sorry if I broke a rule with my very first post.

All that said, the waste coming out of my filter is 1 1/2" PVC. I saw a reasonably priced 1 1/2 x 50 Backwash hose on Amazon so I bought it. When it arrived it was obviously too small, 1 1/2 PVC has an ID of 1 1/2 inches and an OD of 1 7/8. There were at least half a dozen other people that had made the same mistake in the comments section. I can return it no problem, but is this going to be the case for all manufactures of backwash hose? Should I buy 2" from anyone and everyone? My neighborhood Leslie's has become a source of irritation. The new manager tries to hard sell me $600 t0 $800 worth of something I don't need every time I walk in the door.

I liked what I read in another thread about buying fire hose off ebay. That will be my next stop after I finish this posting.

Thanks for the really good very informative forum. I look forward to coming here often. My pool turned 13 last year and everything broke at once. I've been lurking for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.