High FC Number....

johnd13

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2009
I had an episode with a attack of bird droppings in my pool. Weird, never happened in the 5+ years I have had the pool, but apparently it was dive bombing practice!

Anyway, I may have over reacted and shocked the pool. My numbers (FC has held steady the past week) are...

FC 11.0
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 310
CYA 70

Water is clear and sparking.

My Aqua Rite SWG is set at 40% output and pump runs 8 hours a day. A couple questions..

1. Think it's ok to drop the output percentage down to say 20%?
2. How do the numbers as a whole look?

Yes, and yes.

Your TA level is just a little higher than my ideal. This isn't a big deal. You can probably just let TA drift down slowly on its own. If you have problems with the PH rising rapidly, then you will want to lower TA more aggressively.

With the SWG I always seems to be battling a high pH...lol

Best move I ever made was buying the TF test kit.....let's me take control of my pool and not be at the mercy of others...

If those birds were blackbirds, that was no ordinary bird doo. The grackle, commonly known as a blackbird, has a well documented history of dropping those gelatinous fecal sacs into swimming pools in spring and summer. Those sacs are from their young and help keep the nest clean and rid the area of evidence of nesting young from predators. The good news is that the sacs can be removed with a leaf net. The bad news is the grackle is hard to get rid of. I keep a pile of stones handy and attack them with a vengeance whenever I see them. I also supplement my SWG with liquid chlorine. My wife thinks I am crazy. I am sure it looks that way when someone shouts a grackle warning and I head for the stones, but they haven't returned this year. Yet. I hate grackles.

The essential question is, how high can you chlorinate with a CYA of 80 in an SWG pool?

http://www.birdwatchersgeneralstore.com/gracklepoop.htm

Yep. Geese are no longer an issue but the grackle seems to be on to my owl trick...DISGUSTING. And it's always the last couple weeks of May. I saw one yesterday do the deed.

Unfortunately, my neighbor with the 10k bird feeders won't appreciate my more drastic efforts...a pellet gun and the lab.

Scooping scooping scooping...

We have those birds here by the millions it seems. We can't even leave the dog's food outside, lest it get cleaned out in a matter of minutes.

They are pretty funny to watch though, especially during the courtship/mating times. The males do all sorts of crazy things to attract those females.

As long as we keep the dog food put up, they really don't do much as far as the pool goes. It's the mourning doves that dirty the pool up over here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.