Boric Acid

modog

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2009
Any tips on where to buy the cheapest pure boric acid? I am weighing my options on whether to go the boric acid or the borax/MA route. I have a 28K pool and the calculator said 1) 67 pounds of boric acid or 2) 22 76oz boxes of borax and 6 gallons of MA. Does this sound right? My current borate level is 0 and wanted to go to the recommended 50. Also, should I buy some extra to keep around? How is the shelf life?

Last Question - What is the recommended way to add borax or boric acid to the pool?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mo

Your numbers look right. Shelf life is excellent, several years minimum, for all three of the chemicals that might be involved.

Boric acid is available from a number of places: DudaDiesel and The Chemistry Store are two popular sources.

Boric acid can be added to the pool in many different ways. The simplest is to distribute it across the surface of the deep end and then brush the pool. Borax and muriatic acid requires a slightly more complex procedure, which is explained in this post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.