Pool Start up Problems

May 17, 2010
Hello, just opened my pool with various problems. First of all I have an inground pool with a Hayward sand filter approx. 11 years old. When I started pool I noticed a lot of air bubbles coming out of jets while the pressure never reached an adequate levell. I opened up pump lid and poured a lot water via hose into it to try to fill up return line. Started up pump again and noticed this time had no pressure at all out of jets and pump wasn't even filled inside to create pressure. Getting late here so giving up for the night.
If there is anyone with suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
Thx Jason

What you are describing is a suction side air leak that will not allow your pump to prime.

Once you find where the air is leaking in, your pump will prime, the pump strainer basket will fill completely with water, and your psi will be normal.

The air leak is somewhere between the skimmer(s) and the pump. Pump basket lid, unions, etc are common problem spots.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.