Fair numbers but cloudy pool (UPDATED WITH PICS)

surgdog

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2010
Madison, MS
Hi, gang.

Fairly new here. Just got the kit based on your recommendations but had started BBB method prior to that and had the water really clear but still with a green tint.

Had vacuumed but no better even after sand filter backwash. So I brushed yesterday and it went south with green cloudiness even though I still had good FC levels.

Tonight's levels are:

FC 6
cc 0.5
TC 6.5
pH 7.5
TA 150
CH 350
CYA 90
T 76

I went ahead and added a bottle of bleach to increase FC. Besides continuing to vacuum and backwash any one have suggestions on my problem based on the numbers?

I assume I had an algae kill and the green tint is dead algae on the sides and bottom of the pool and by brushing I stirred it up. I keep the pump return mainly skimmer and partially main drain.

Does flocculent help?

Thank you--great site.

MK

Re: Fair numbers but cloudy pool

Your CYA is too high. I suggest you drain down about 1/3 to lower this level, then rebalance your other numbers if necessary, like PH/TA and then resume the shock process.

Keep shocking until the FC holds overnight and your CC is .5 or less. But drain/refill first so you don't waste chems...
Shocking Your Pool

Thanks, Frustrated.

Quick question. Will removing pool water to decrease CYA also lower TA or do I need to use acid?

It now appears that I have too much CYA and would need a FC of 35 for shock according to the FC/CYA chart so I was hoping by draining some of the pool that I could take care of two birds with one stone.

Thanks,

MK

MK, it probably won't reduce TA. Usually high TA comes from high fill water.

Still drain first, since if you lower your TA now you will be dumping out low TA water and replacing it with high TA water.

Good idea.

Do y'all think my green pool is a product of inadequate shock due to high CYA?

My pool people who have been doing it for years have always used the tri-chlor tablets so I guess this is why my CYA is so high.

Thanks,

MK

OK, here's a moderate update.

I drained down 40% are so. Now refilling. When ahead and turned the pump back on just with main drain return hoping to filter the bottom of the pool where the green is since there is less volume to filter at present. Man my jets are aerating like crazy so I hope that will help something.

Guys and gals this pool thing is somewhat consuming. I find myself thinking about it most of the day as to what to do next. Couldn't wait to get home to drain the thing, also, because my wife is out out town and has not totally bought into BBB. Hope I can get it back to semi-normal before she returns.

I took some before pics hope to have some after pics that look better.

Going to buy bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

surgdog said:
"OK, here's a moderate update.....this pool thing is somewhat consuming. I find myself thinking about it most of the day as to what to do next...." .

Sounds to me like the onset of sparklypoolitis :goodjob:

The only thing the aeration will do is raise your PH...but that's OK, when you add acid to adjust your TA will come closer into range and once re-filled your CYA should be manageble.

Get that bleach...you are well on your wat to a TFP summer

oh yeah...just tell your wife that you gave up on BBB..."I'm just going to stick with Chlorine (Bleach), PH+ (Borax) and Alkalinity Increaser (Baking Soda)"

You should have seen my neighbor's faces whe I told them I had to add 8 gals of muratic acid (over the course of 3 days) to my 24' agp to reduce my TA. :shock: (FYI...my fill water TA is 300+)

I should add that to the list of things to say to keep neighbors out of the pool..."sorry guys I just pored muratic acid in the pool"..."yup...the same stuf you used to clean your concrete patio...yeah...sorry"

surgdog said:
Guys and gals this pool thing is somewhat consuming. I find myself thinking about it most of the day as to what to do next. Couldn't wait to get home to drain the thing, also, because my wife is out out town and has not totally bought into BBB. Hope I can get it back to semi-normal before she returns.

In just a matter of weeks you will have it totally under control. If you have a pool log you won't have to think about it so much. I started a book that had the facts I was learning, like stuff about pump run times and how to shock and what my target ranges were for some things. Phone numbers for local pool stores and grocery stores to check prices for stuff. Notes on how to do stuff that was new to me.

Eventually I put the targets on sticky notes inside my test kit with some facts like how much FC a scoop of Cal-Hypo put into my pool or what a big jug of bleach would add. On the cover of the kit I made an expanded chart that keeps 30 test results with the additions made as well as targets and comments. I record the Test Date; FC, CC, TC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, temp and then additions made; chlorine source (ie, bleach 6% or Cal-Hypo 73%), chlorine volume, FC goal, MA volume, pH goal, and comments. I do a full test maybe once a month, and most of the time just check pH and FC.

Eventually you can see the consumption pattern and you can pretty easily predict what needs to be done and when. And, more importantly, you will develop an eye for that sparkly pool thing we all mention. If the spark is not there, something is brewing in the pool. Time to investigate with a full test.

Post refill Pre shock numbers

FC 2
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 100
CYA 60-70 kinda hard to tell

I may add half the rec dose of muriatic acid prior to adding bleach.

What do y'all think?

Thanks, MK

Shock update.

Applied 8 oz of muriatic acid. Then 728 oz of 6% bleach.

After one hour FC at 44. heck of a shock. CC 0-0.5.

Will work to keep FC above 28 as recommended by pool calculator which is shock level for my CYA level. Don't know how I overshot so far but hopefully no harm done. Sure ought to kill a few algae.

Kinda reminds me of the old Butch Cassidy movie. "...think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.