Sta-Rite Pool Heater Problem

May 17, 2010
I have a Sta-Rite NA400 Natural Gas. This is it's 5th season. Last year in September 2009 the heater started to turn off after 30-45 seconds. It would ignite, heat, and shut down. Control board AFS light is lit. Also there is one flashing light in the Control Box grey panel. I replaced the AFS switch and the Thermal Regulator. Also replaced the wiring harness since most wires were chewed from mice and I had spliced them. The exhaust is blowing warm and fairly forceful. Sta-Rite tech support said that it sounds like a blower whci as you know is an expensive part to try out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you tried lubing the blower bearings? Checking the cage for blockage might be something to do as well.

You could check the rpm's if you have a tach handy. Some of those air flow switches are pretty sensitive and if the flow sags just a bit they'll trip.

Welcome to TFP!!

I know these heaters VERY well.

You've has a mouse issue (infamous for these units) and I believe that there is a 'mouse house' in the blower unit that just needs to be removed so that it can do it's job, without constriction.

I can walk you through checking this, if you need :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.