Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added 17 lbs of chlorine and levels are non existent

1. Back To Top    #1

Added 17 lbs of chlorine and levels are non existent

Hello,

As of 5-17-10, our pool levels are:

FC - Less than 0.2 (The Basic Four Test kit by PoolMaster was used for the first four readings)
    CC - Less than .02
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 230
    CH - 250 (according to test strip - test kit didn't test this)
    CYA - 100(according to test strip - test kit didn't test this)
    Borates - I did not test for this

Our pool is 8 years old and until last year, we used a salt chlorinator which worked great. It stopped working so we switched to chlorine last summer. It worked out ok except for problems with algae. We covered the pool for the winter and we think the water levels were ok at that time and the pool was clean. We took the cover off a week ago and checked the levels. The chlorine and ph were very low at that time, so we added ph increaser (from the store) and at first 2 lbs of granulated chlorine. The levels didn't change for the chlorine, so over a couple of days, we continued to add chlorine until we had added 17 lbs!! But still no change in the chlorine levels.

Then, my husband went to the the pool store and had the water tested (The test results on that trip (5-11-10) were:
    FC: 0.0
    CC: not tested
    pH: 6.8
    TA: 90 ppm
    CH: 195 ppm
    CYA: 100 ppm
    total dissolved solids: 3200 ppm
    salt: 2200 ppm).

They told him to add 4.8 lbs. of alkalinity increaser, shock the pool by adding 1.1 gallons of liquid chlorine and add 7.5 lbs. of calcium increaser. After doing this, still no change in the chlorine levels although the ph rose a little.

My husband went to the pool store three more times and on the second trip (which was 5-12-10, the test results were:
    FC: 0.0
    pH: 7.0
    TA: 110 ppm
    CH: 255 ppm
    total dissolved solids: 3200 ppm
    salt: not tested).

We were told to add 1.6 lbs. of alkalinty and 1.1 gallons of liquid chlorine. After doing these, still no change in the chlorine. The third trip
    (which was 5-13-10, the levels were:

FC: 0.0 ppm
    ph: 7.0
    TA: 125 ppm
    CH: 245 ppm
    total dissoved solids: 3600 ppm
    salt: not tested
    base demand: 12)

We were told to add 1.1 quarts of metal control plus salt solution and 3.8 lbs of ph plus. After this, according to our test kit, the chlorine is still non existent but the ph is better.

My husband dropped off another water sample by the pool store today and they are telling us that the phosphate level is very high in our pool and that may be the reason the chlorine is still non extistent. He did not stick around long enough to pick up the sheet with the levels. They want us to put a phosphate remover in the pool. We have not done this yet.

The water in the pool actually looks pretty good and clear, and has looked pretty good this whole time. We are really perplexed as what to do next. The guys at the pool store seem to be equally perplexed. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much! Susan
    1) The size of our pool is 11,000 gallons
    2) The type filter we have is sand
    3) Our pool is an above ground
    4) Size pump is 1.5 hp and I don't know the flow rate of our filter (Sorry)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added 17 lbs of chlorine and levels are non existent

Something's using the Chlorine. And no CC reading makes it impossible to tell if you're gaining ground.

Order a test kit - best money you'll ever spend on your pool. Just the savings in gas hauling water samples woulda paid for one already!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Of course they are perplexed they keep omitting cc which tells you if you have organics in the pool eating your chlorine.
    I say get your own kit and start testing it yourself at this rate it'll pay for itself in fuel within the first 2 weeks
    Start your own testing come back and post results. The TFP XL kit found on this site or one similar is the best. No more adding this and that.
    Start reading pool school and possibly start BBB, it is what a lot of us do here. Good luck!
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Ignore the phosphate jibber-jabber. It has no bearing on anything, problems or not, with your pool.

First off, if you aren't running a salt water chlorine generator anymore, your CYA needs to come down. The test may give a CYA result of 100 ppm but that means that it is at least 100, if not more. To lower CYA, you must change out some water. Your CYA should be between 30 and 50 ppm. With a high CYA like that, it makes it hard to clear a pool because the lower levels of chlorine just aren't effective.

You need a good test kit. The TF-100 (link in my signature line) is excellent. Test your own water with a good kit and you will always know where you stand with your pool. You also won't have to go to the pool store for testing and be subject to the inadequacies of their tests or have to deal with them trying to sell you $$$ in products you don't need (see phosphate removers).

You also need to start reading the Pool School articles. There is a wealth of information in there that will open your eyes to this pool care stuff. It's not as difficult as it may seem to be initially.

Check out Shocking Your Pool
    to get the lowdown on why and how it is done.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

Just wanted to say welcome to TFP...257 has given you great advice. Get the test kit, replace water to bring CYA level down and shock with bleach....most important...while your draining some water...read pool school.

This site will save you money Stop being pool stored.."phosphates"
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

ammonia?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    ammonia?
    Of course it's possible, but I kind of doubt it. The CYA is high so I think that ammonia is probably an unlikely culprit here. Rather, I think that their CYA is just too high to effectively clear their organics and until that comes down, there is little to do.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to the forum, Susan

You've gotten great advice!

Here's another vote to first do a series of drains to reduce the CYA and get it around 50-ish.

We'll help you get it all clean and sparkly
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I would add more than 1.1gl of chlorine. I usually recc. twice the amount of liquid chlorine as what those colorful printouts tell you to. It just works better.

I know which store you went to. I work for the same company, just 2.5hrs east of you.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Welcome to TFP!

Ignore the phosphate jibber-jabber. It has no bearing on anything, problems or not, with your pool.

First off, if you aren't running a salt water chlorine generator anymore, your CYA needs to come down. The test may give a CYA result of 100 ppm but that means that it is at least 100, if not more. To lower CYA, you must change out some water. Your CYA should be between 30 and 50 ppm. With a high CYA like that, it makes it hard to clear a pool because the lower levels of chlorine just aren't effective.

You need a good test kit. The TF-100 (link in my signature line) is excellent. Test your own water with a good kit and you will always know where you stand with your pool. You also won't have to go to the pool store for testing and be subject to the inadequacies of their tests or have to deal with them trying to sell you $$$ in products you don't need (see phosphate removers).

You also need to start reading the Pool School articles. There is a wealth of information in there that will open your eyes to this pool care stuff. It's not as difficult as it may seem to be initially.

Check out Shocking Your Pool
    to get the lowdown on why and how it is done.
    Craig gave you great advice.

We call what's happened to you being "pool stored." Many of us (including me) have similar stories to share.

Follow Craig's advice an you will save yourself a ton of money and frustration and you'll have a trouble free pool.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

Boy, I started cooking supper and came back to nine replies!! Thank you very much for all of the help. I will plan to purchase a test kit asap! We were very pleased with the salt water chlorinator and because of the ease of maintenance became a bit lazy with checking pool levels. It just wasn't required as much. In your opinion, should we purchase another salt water chlorinator, and if we did, would we still need to replace some of the water in the pool? Also, should we replace the sand in our sand filter because all 17 lbs. of the granulated chlorine went directly into the skimmer? And, after that, we did notice an increase in the filter's pressure valve that still has not returned to completely normal.

We try to do maintain the pool with as few chemicals as possible. That is the reason we originally purchased the salt water chlorinator. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Susan
    1) The size of our pool is 11,000 gallons
    2) The type filter we have is sand
    3) Our pool is an above ground
    4) Size pump is 1.5 hp and I don't know the flow rate of our filter (Sorry)

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I'd get another cell if you're really going for that ease of maintenance.

13. Back To Top    #13

You should get the CYA down to 60 - that's an ok level for an SWG and it will make tackling your algae issue easier. So yes, still do some water replacement first. Once the FC is holding overnight, you can rebalance the water and proceed with a new SWG cell if you like.

You should not need to replace the sand. If the granular is still in there dissolving that could explain the pressure. Also there is possibly some kind of blockage causing the PSI increase - not unheard of when dumping granular thru the skimmer. Try backwashing to see if you can get it to normalize.

As for maintenance - no system is one that you can get away with not checking - even with an SWG it is advised to test routinely to make sure your levels are in range - it keeps your pool trouble free but also extends the life of your SWG.

Water Balance for SWCGs
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

backwash it, then rinse it.

15. Back To Top    #15

Everyone has covered the basics, good advice. I would just emphasize to stop buying all that junk at the pool store.

Have you read through the pool school articles on the basics of BBB?

Go to your local grocery store and buy generic unscented bleach. That's your chlorine.

While at the store buy a couple boxes of Borax (20 Mule Team the most common). That RAISES PH.

Go to Lowe's and buy a jug of muriatic acid. That LOWERS your PH. MUCH cheaper. Just do it small amounts, it doesn't take a lot. See the calculator on here and it will tell you how much to use.

And as mentioned several times, do a partial change. I would do a 50% or least a 30% asap.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

16. Back To Top    #16

Rastoma, I think you have your pH raise and lower swapped over. Borax raises pH and Muriatic Acid lowers it. Or so I'm told.

Thanks for catching that - the post has been edited by moderator
    11,000 Imp galls inground hopper 15' x 35', Delifol liner (vinyl), sand filter, Abrisud Classic cover, Palintest 315C test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    Rastoma, I think you have your pH raise and lower swapped over. Borax raises pH and Muriatic Acid lowers it. Or so I'm told.

Thanks for catching that - the post has been edited by moderator

WOOPS... yes sorry 'bout that
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)