Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Latest Test and Other Junk

1. Back To Top    #1

Latest Test and Other Junk

Hi, since getting my test kit, and reading up here, I have a much better understanding of keeping the pool up. My numbers today from my test kit: *note water is crystal clear
    FC-8
    CC-0
    TAC-8
    CYA-60
    pH-7.6
    TA-100
    CH-300

I have been keeping my target FC at 8.0 [no overnight loss]

So I go to the Pool Store to see what my water looks like to them. Obviously he tells me my Chlorine is to high, but there test's are just about what I get...so I'm happy.

Then he tells me the TDS are 2700, and phosphates are 2500. So my face gets red, cause ...hey I don't know...and he is drilling me about lowering them, trying to sell me some stuff to do that, other customers are telling me, yah drain the pool....buy this and that...lol...so I come home and read up here and feel much better.

Problem is I have taken the water to the PS about 5-6 times since March. The TDS numbers they have given me have been up and down from 1000>750>1200>1000>2700?? So man I don't know.

Any way so should I just ignore the TDS/Phosphate numbers??

Thx MB
    19500K IG Plaster Free Form Pool W/Spa
    Pentair Clean&Clear Plus 420/WhisperFlo WFE-8 1HPmotor/Booster Pump
    Sta-Rite Gas Fired Heater/ Aqualinks RS6

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Latest Test and Other Junk

Yes, ignore the TDS and phosphate readings. They have no bearing whatsoever on your water balance.

Enjoy your pool and ignore the pool store yahoos.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by MyBad
    Problem is I have taken the water to the PS about 5-6 times since March. The TDS numbers they have given me have been up and down from 1000>750>1200>1000>2700?? So man I don't know.

Any way so should I just ignore the TDS/Phosphate numbers??

Thx MB
    Yep. They can't sell you something if the numbers are low. As time goes by, the TDS in a pool will climb. When TDS numbers get high, changing the water does make the water easier to maintain.....BUT it's not because of the TDS reading, it's because of the CYA being high. Changing water lowers both.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say ignore them.

I haven't got a clue what my TDS or phosphate numbers are, but my pool is sparkling. This is despite extraordinarily high CYA and CH numbers, thanks to a steady diet of pucks from the previous owner and California's normally hard water.

And I suspect you're under similar water restrictions as I, where a drain & refill will: a) cost a lot with tiered water rates; and b) probably earn you a restrictor on your meter, installed at your expense.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TDS mainly consists of salt. If your TDS reading were actually 2700 (unlikely given the poor precision of their tests), you could reasonably assume that somewhere 2000-2200 ppm of that is salt (subtract the other stuff you've tested).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you very much for the input...... just gonna enjoy it....soon as the sun comes out!
    19500K IG Plaster Free Form Pool W/Spa
    Pentair Clean&Clear Plus 420/WhisperFlo WFE-8 1HPmotor/Booster Pump
    Sta-Rite Gas Fired Heater/ Aqualinks RS6