bonding loop question

KurtG

Feb 26, 2010
Annapolis, MD
I've read lots of posts on this topic and am still confused.

I have an above ground resin pool that I ran a #8 bare copper cable off of a lug I attached to the seam bolts on the wall. I also have the pool pump and a saltwater control/timer (Aquatrol) to tie in (bond).

The aquatrol directions mention connecting everything in a "bonding loop", but is it really a loop or do I just need to connect everything in series?

Right now I have 20' wire just attached to the pool wall lug and not sure how to connect the other two pieces of equipment. Both have bonding lugs on them so that part is not too difficult the "loop" part has me thrown as does the issue of whether "connections" are allowed to tie three pieces together.

An electrician did my pool power, but not the bonding loop (pool wasn't done).
Thanks.

It's not required to be a loop, but it is safer if it returns to the point of origin since a single break in the wire doesn't affect the bonding.

Ideally you should use a single piece of wire. Making a wire to wire connection has very strict rules that require special connectors. So normally you use a single piece of wire and connect it into the bonding lug as it passes by each piece of equipment.

Thanks. I'm glad I got 20' and didn't cut anything. I hate to have to pull the rails/wall column off to attach another lug and make a loop (and not sure 20 is even enough wire without a connection). I assume I can't use a copper splice nut then to do so . I will try to attach the wire through the lugs without cutting it and see how much I have left.

Ok, so my well-meaning electrician cut my copper bonding loop when I was at work. He bonded the pump to the salt machine, but the copper wire that was supposed to run from my pool to the pump was cut. I would have to take the pool apart to run a new wire. The lug is on the wall seam under a post.

What is an approved method of connecting the bonding wire??? I still have to bond the pool to the pump.

The electrician may be done with his inspection, but I still have *MY* pool permit to be inspected. Not happy that he intervened and cut my copper bonding wire.

The NEC does not prohibit splicing of the bonding conductor. You have use a "listed" device, in other words one that states it can be used for bonding or grounding. Exothermic welded is the prefered method but crimp is allowed as is split bolts. You can't use wire nuts and you can't use solder alone.

KurtG said:
Thank you. Split bolts are easy to find and use. So will go with that method to start unless an inspector makes me do something else.

If it's going to be underground, make sure you get a product rated for that.

Split bolts will work. There are also bonding lugs that will accept two #8 wires. Its ok to have a cut bonding loop. You do it all the time when you bond inground ladder or rail fittings to the bonding loop. A single wire runs from each lug on the fitting and attaches to the main loop wire with a split bolt or lug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.