Shock needed every 2 weeks for SWG pool?

May 17, 2010
When we had our pool installed the guy told us shocking every two weeks isn't necessary for our pool and that it was mainly for above ground pools on a two week schedule. The local Pool guy is telling my husband he should be using Fresh & Clear (which is shock) every 2 weeks on a regular basis. I'm debating with my husband that it's uncessary since the first guy warned us of this. Can someone settle the debate?

Oh my goodness!

You have been "pool-stored" via the Pool Guy! This is hogwash, and it has nothing to do with a SWCG or above ground pools. Somebody wants to sell you extra stuff that you don't need and certainly not on any 2-week schedule!

Please go up to the top right of this page and start reading Pool School. It is well worth your time; it is an eye opener.

Lana

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking your pool based on an arbitrary schedule is not required. The only reason to shock your pool is if it needs it, as evidenced by: CC > 0.5 ppm, known organic contamination, FC loss of > 1 ppm overnight, or if you have a FC of zero (and even with a FC of zero, it still may not be required).

There are a great many here who have never ever had to shock. I have shocked my pool once in all the years that I have owned it. Save your money (and your chlorine) and shock when the need arises.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.