Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock needed every 2 weeks for SWG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock needed every 2 weeks for SWG pool?

When we had our pool installed the guy told us shocking every two weeks isn't necessary for our pool and that it was mainly for above ground pools on a two week schedule. The local Pool guy is telling my husband he should be using Fresh & Clear (which is shock) every 2 weeks on a regular basis. I'm debating with my husband that it's uncessary since the first guy warned us of this. Can someone settle the debate?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock needed every 2 weeks for SWG pool?

I have a pool with a SWCG also. Generally I only shock on pool opening and closing. I might have to manually add bleach after a pool party but generally it isn't routinely necessary...at least in my experience.

Rob
    27ft Above Ground Pool
    Sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh my goodness!

You have been "pool-stored" via the Pool Guy! This is hogwash, and it has nothing to do with a SWCG or above ground pools. Somebody wants to sell you extra stuff that you don't need and certainly not on any 2-week schedule!

Please go up to the top right of this page and start reading Pool School. It is well worth your time; it is an eye opener.

Lana
    25,000 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 1.5hp single-speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Shocking your pool based on an arbitrary schedule is not required. The only reason to shock your pool is if it needs it, as evidenced by: CC > 0.5 ppm, known organic contamination, FC loss of > 1 ppm overnight, or if you have a FC of zero (and even with a FC of zero, it still may not be required).

There are a great many here who have never ever had to shock. I have shocked my pool once in all the years that I have owned it. Save your money (and your chlorine) and shock when the need arises.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    LOL that's what I was going to post.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

My thread FPM!!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden