Newbie to BBB - TF-100 reading

May 9, 2010
I am new to the forum. Just received my TF-100 test kit. Follow are the readings.

FC 3.0
CC 0.5
TC 3.5
PH 8.0
TA 140
CH 500
CYA 20

Not sure if I'm doing the test right? I must note that for the past week I have green and Black algae and been treating with bleach and running pool 24 hrs per day since last week. Yesterday and for past three days FC was 8.0 but dropped drastically last night. Not sure how to continue to treat algae although green is almost gone, but black is still there. I've been pool owner for past 6 years but until recently been having pool guys clean and maintain but doing horrible job so fired them. Not sure where to go from here?

There are a couple of different things going on here. Lets deal with some of the simpler ones first.

Your PH is too high. You don't normally want to let the PH get above 7.8. Since your TA is also on the high side, the best thing is to lower PH to around 7.2.

Your CYA level is too low. You want CYA to be between 30 and 50.

Your CH level is a little high. If PH, TA, and CH all all high at once you are at risk of calcium scaling. Lowering CH is difficult, so it is simplest to work on lowering PH and TA for now.

Hi kajuntwin,

I would shoot for 30 CYA for now since you are in the middle of shocking.

A lower CYA level will take less bleach/liquid chlorine/$$ because it has a lower shock level.
See the Chlorine/CYA chart in my sig.

Read How to Shock Your Pool in Pool School.

Are you sure you have Black Algae?
It usually appears when pools are poorly maintained for a long period of time.

On the TA test, did you wipe the dropper in between drops with a damp cloth?

Have you seen the pics for performing the CYA test from Taylor?
This may help your confirm your testing: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=36

Congrats on getting your TF-100 test kit - best investment any pool owner can make.

Post back any questions you have and someone will be around to help.

But, first, lower your pH as Jason mentioned. :wink:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks for responding so quickly. So I just use pool calculator to lower PH first?
Should I not worry about TA or CYA for now?
I am pretty sure it is black algae s been scrubbing for 2 weeks and slowly getting lighter.
I have been shocking for 1 week with bleach trying to keep FC above 10 but can't.

Yes, lower the ph to 7.2 use the pool calc to determine how much acid to use - don't worry about the TA right now.

You can add the CYA any time.
Scrubbing is the key to killing black algae, so keep at it :)
If you've had a good swamp going, that would explain the chlorine demand - 1 week isn't very long (tho I'm sure to you its felt like forever...) in situations like you describe....

Thanks for the help. This forum and TFP is great!!
PH coming down slowly, but out of town until tomorrow and will test then.

Just a note that my SWG is not operating at this time which is reason for continuous input of bleach.
It is 6 years old and ordered another one which should be in tomorrow.

Should I wait to begin operating it after installation with clorine so low or just crank it up to 100% and let er rip?

On another note. when I check the table to shock my level is at 25 or so.
is that 25 chlorine reading? as opposed to normal 5-8?
Also when I need to get the CYA up, people on the forum say add CYA. What is that?
I know you should add stabilizer but is there certain kind when I am doing BBB?

Sorry for goofy questions but new to this all.

Until the SWG is in place and the water balanced, just treat it as if it were a non-swg pool.

Why do you think your shock is 25, and reg levels 5-8? If your CYA is 20, your shock level is 10. We are recommending you raise it to 30, until the shock process is complete.

First, raise your CYA (Cyanuric Acid, also called Stabilizer :)-available at pool stores or Walmart-pool aisle) to 30.
Second, make sure the PH is 7.2 before you resume shocking.
Third, after adjusting PH and adding enough CYA to reach 30, resume shocking - your shock level is then 12.
Fourth - use the FAS-DPD test to confirm the FC is holding overnight. Keep shocking until it does.
Fifth, when you are done shocking, then you can balance the Salt level and raise the CYA up to 60 to begin operating the new cell.
Do not crank it to 100%, this shortens the life of the cell.

Anytime you need to increase the FC by more than 2-3 ppm, you should use liquid chlorine or bleach to raise it.

Until your levels are stable and the SWG operating, maintain your normal levels of FC with bleach- refer to the CYA chart for your correct levels.

Hey All;
Back in town.
Tested today and here are numbers.
FC 0
PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 240
CYA 30
Salt 3500

Remember my SWG is not operating so I am putting in bleach each day, but have been out of town for two days which is reason FC to 0.
I am putting in acid tonight to get PH to 7.2 and then begin shocking.
So my shock level is now 12, right?
How long do you think I need to do this to get rid of black algae?
One week, two weeks, etc.
With shock level at 12 can someone swim safely?
Will get readings tomorrow.
Thanks so much for all the help.

kajuntwin said:
Hey All;
Back in town.
Tested today and here are numbers.
FC 0
PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 240
CYA 30
Salt 3500

Remember my SWG is not operating so I am putting in bleach each day, but have been out of town for two days which is reason FC to 0.
I am putting in acid tonight to get PH to 7.2 and then begin shocking.
So my shock level is now 12, right?
Yep

How long do you think I need to do this to get rid of black algae?
One week, two weeks, etc.
dunno, depends a lot on how much you brush/scrub and how well you are able to maintain shock level

With shock level at 12 can someone swim safely?
Most are okay with swimming when FC is between min and shock for the CYA level, assumming no CC.

Will get readings tomorrow.
Thanks so much for all the help.

PH down to 7.3 now.
I began shocking today with pool school numbers.
FC at 8 but going up.
I tested not long after I put in shock bleach as I had an appointment out of town.
Will test again this afternoon.

Eventually the shock level of 12 will be reached so will it stay there, or should I keep testing everyday and add bleach to keep at 12?
Will it get to where I only add bleach every so often to keep at 12?
My new SWG cell came in today but not sure if I should install or wait until I am finishing clearing this mess up?
I have some old black algae stuff from Leslies...should I just return that stuff or try some in pool when shock level high?

Thanks so much for all of your help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh one more thing.
I am running my polaris while all this is going on, is that ok.
Also I have been running the pump 24/7 for the past week or so until all the algae is gone.
is that also correct thing to do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.