Opening a return valve drops pressure

Apr 16, 2010
Thanks for all of y'alls help in the past.

I have a problem with my pool pump that started after all the rains we have had. It struggles to maintain pressure. I followed a few posts here and played around with some of the suction and return valves.

I see 2 areas of problem, one with the skimmer suction side and another on one return valve. When I close the skimmer suction valve, the pressure is normal. When I close on of the 2 return valves (just one, the other is fine), pressure is normal..

Hope I am making sense here! Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Are you saying that there is no change in pressure when you open and close valves?

When closing a suction valve, pressure should drop. When closing a return valve, pressure should increase.

If there is no change in pressure, it usually means that there is no flow through those lines when open. However, the change in pressure could be very subtle depending on the head loss in other parts.

mas985 said:
Are you saying that there is no change in pressure when you open and close valves?

When closing a suction valve, pressure should drop. When closing a return valve, pressure should increase.

If there is no change in pressure, it usually means that there is no flow through those lines when open. However, the change in pressure could be very subtle depending on the head loss in other parts.

Thanks for your response Mark. I made no sense did I!!! Just re-read my post and realized I conveyed absolutely nothing! Sorry!

Anyways, you clarified my question...I wanted to know what happens when you close valves on the suction and return sides.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.