Pool Store Analysis - I am confused!!

Apr 27, 2010
Texas
I know there will be someone on here that can help me out...

Here is what my pool store analysis came back at today:

FAC = 0
TAC = 0
CH = 190
CYA = 110
TA = 60
pH = 7.6
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
TDS = 550
Pho = 200

So, I am thinking based on the BBB method - I need 1 qt. 3 cups of bleach for the FAC number / and 34 oz. of Baking Soda for the TA number. But, what about the CH and CYA totals???? HELP!

The only way I have read on this site to lower CYA will be to drain water, but I say WAIT until someone comes along with more info on that. Also there are products you can buy to raise CH if needed. Go ahead and fill out your signature with what equipment you have and this will help the pros out when they provide help.

Welcome.

Without knowing your pool volume and type, I can't give you exact answers, but with your high CYA level, you'll need to raise your chlorine to around 12ppm as you can see on the Chlorine CYA Chart

Your CYA is very high, and you really need to drain quite a bit of water to lower it. Readings over 100ppm aren't very accurate, so yours could be much higher.

Check out the article Recommended Levels to learn more about your chemistry.

Dawnm00 said:
I added my gallons and filtering system to my signature...does this help with totals?

For your 9000 gallons, you'll need to add about 7 quarts of 6% bleach to reach the 12ppm recommended level.

You also need about 5lbs of calcium chloride to raise your hardness with a plaster surface, but you really need to get your CYA down to a reasonable level before adjusting the CH if you can.

Yes, drain water first. Otherwise you're just draining out chems you just bought! Assuming your CYA level is actually 110 (it could be a lot higher), a 30% drain would get you to about 80. Are you running an SWG? If not, you probably want the CYA a little lower, more like 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may need to drain more than half the water. CYA tests aren't accurate, particularly above 100ppm, so your real reading good be 150ppm or higher.

The high CYA can make it very difficult to control an algae problem, and requires you to maintain FC levels much higher than most pool stores or test kits can measure.

how are you testing for CYA? TF100/Taylor K2006 or Pool Store? Pool store testing IMHO is about as reliable as strips...which is not good. Not saying some pool stores do not get it right...but it's hard to know which to trust.

dmanb2b said:
how are you testing for CYA? TF100/Taylor K2006 or Pool Store? Pool store testing IMHO is about as reliable as strips...which is not good. Not saying some pool stores do not get it right...but it's hard to know which to trust.
When I brought a sample in to the store, the day I bought a test kit (wrong one, by the way - now I have duplicates), they tested it using strips!

There is no substitute for having your own, complete, test kit. Balancing pool chemistry without a kit is like painting in the dark. You'll create something, but it probably won't be any good, and you'll have just wasted paint.

as long as you can trust them...but bottom line CYA does not fluctuate that significantly unless you add product containing CYA or replace water...otherwise it is testing error. One employee, may do better than the other..etc

Richard320 said:
dmanb2b said:
When I brought a sample in to the store, the day I bought a test kit (wrong one, by the way - now I have duplicates), they tested it using strips!

There is no substitute for having your own, complete, test kit. Balancing pool chemistry without a kit is like painting in the dark. You'll create something, but it probably won't be any good, and you'll have just wasted paint.

I absolutely agree...the TF100 is the best investment, I ever made toward my pool...period

If you have 2" of rain (a lot of rain) in a pool with 4 feet of water you will have lowered the level by about 4%, which really isn't significant. Subsequent evaporation will probably bring the level back to where it was before.

Dawnm00 said:
This is a pool store that has quite a set-up...they use the liquid drops and then have the water circulator and they test for 10 different things. ??

I was the same exact way and the stores around me that test the water have all the same stuff. Problem is in a lot of pool stores, turnover is a big deal, may not be at yours, but they just do not get the training. I would suggest investing in a quality test kit, learn to do the test yourself, and you will get much better results. Plus having your own test kit saves times of having to go to the pool store to get tested and then they get you to buy this and that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.