Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Store Analysis - I am confused!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Store Analysis - I am confused!!

I know there will be someone on here that can help me out...

Here is what my pool store analysis came back at today:

FAC = 0
    TAC = 0
    CH = 190
    CYA = 110
    TA = 60
    pH = 7.6
    Copper = 0
    Iron = 0
    TDS = 550
    Pho = 200

So, I am thinking based on the BBB method - I need 1 qt. 3 cups of bleach for the FAC number / and 34 oz. of Baking Soda for the TA number. But, what about the CH and CYA totals???? HELP!
    9,000 Plaster IG Pool & Spa
    Hayward Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Store Analysis - I am confused!!

The only way I have read on this site to lower CYA will be to drain water, but I say WAIT until someone comes along with more info on that. Also there are products you can buy to raise CH if needed. Go ahead and fill out your signature with what equipment you have and this will help the pros out when they provide help.

Welcome.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Without knowing your pool volume and type, I can't give you exact answers, but with your high CYA level, you'll need to raise your chlorine to around 12ppm as you can see on the Chlorine CYA Chart

Your CYA is very high, and you really need to drain quite a bit of water to lower it. Readings over 100ppm aren't very accurate, so yours could be much higher.

Check out the article Recommended Levels to learn more about your chemistry.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I added my gallons and filtering system to my signature...does this help with totals?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnm00
    I added my gallons and filtering system to my signature...does this help with totals?
    For your 9000 gallons, you'll need to add about 7 quarts of 6% bleach to reach the 12ppm recommended level.

You also need about 5lbs of calcium chloride to raise your hardness with a plaster surface, but you really need to get your CYA down to a reasonable level before adjusting the CH if you can.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you suggest that I drain some of the water before adjusting any of these levels? Are you thinking about 30% drainage?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, drain water first. Otherwise you're just draining out chems you just bought! Assuming your CYA level is actually 110 (it could be a lot higher), a 30% drain would get you to about 80. Are you running an SWG? If not, you probably want the CYA a little lower, more like 50.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

8. Back To Top    #8

No SWG...question: What usually happens to make the CYA go so high? Last week chemicals were fine...GEEZ!

9. Back To Top    #9

It usually comes from using chlorine pucks (trichlor). These constantly add CYA as they add chlorine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, I am not using those anymore, after I read the Pool School posts. Any other thoughts?

11. Back To Top    #11

You may need to drain more than half the water. CYA tests aren't accurate, particularly above 100ppm, so your real reading good be 150ppm or higher.

The high CYA can make it very difficult to control an algae problem, and requires you to maintain FC levels much higher than most pool stores or test kits can measure.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

There is no algae...the water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

how are you testing for CYA? TF100/Taylor K2006 or Pool Store? Pool store testing IMHO is about as reliable as strips...which is not good. Not saying some pool stores do not get it right...but it's hard to know which to trust.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    how are you testing for CYA? TF100/Taylor K2006 or Pool Store? Pool store testing IMHO is about as reliable as strips...which is not good. Not saying some pool stores do not get it right...but it's hard to know which to trust.
    When I brought a sample in to the store, the day I bought a test kit (wrong one, by the way - now I have duplicates), they tested it using strips!

There is no substitute for having your own, complete, test kit. Balancing pool chemistry without a kit is like painting in the dark. You'll create something, but it probably won't be any good, and you'll have just wasted paint.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

This is a pool store that has quite a set-up...they use the liquid drops and then have the water circulator and they test for 10 different things. ??

16. Back To Top    #16

as long as you can trust them...but bottom line CYA does not fluctuate that significantly unless you add product containing CYA or replace water...otherwise it is testing error. One employee, may do better than the other..etc
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

17. Back To Top    #17

One thing I forgot to mention...we had a significant amount of rain this past Friday. Water was tested today (Monday)...could that be it?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    When I brought a sample in to the store, the day I bought a test kit (wrong one, by the way - now I have duplicates), they tested it using strips!

There is no substitute for having your own, complete, test kit. Balancing pool chemistry without a kit is like painting in the dark. You'll create something, but it probably won't be any good, and you'll have just wasted paint.
    I absolutely agree...the TF100 is the best investment, I ever made toward my pool...period

19. Back To Top    #19

If you have 2" of rain (a lot of rain) in a pool with 4 feet of water you will have lowered the level by about 4%, which really isn't significant. Subsequent evaporation will probably bring the level back to where it was before.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnm00
    This is a pool store that has quite a set-up...they use the liquid drops and then have the water circulator and they test for 10 different things. ??
    I was the same exact way and the stores around me that test the water have all the same stuff. Problem is in a lot of pool stores, turnover is a big deal, may not be at yours, but they just do not get the training. I would suggest investing in a quality test kit, learn to do the test yourself, and you will get much better results. Plus having your own test kit saves times of having to go to the pool store to get tested and then they get you to buy this and that.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast