Ideas for keeping skimmer basket in its place?

Knarf

Apr 18, 2007
Orland Park, Il
Not sure if this is a unique issue I have, but my skimmer basket always pops out of position as soon as the pump turns off. If I don't remember to re-position the basket the pump will not run as well because the out of place basket slows water flow. I thought of putting something in the basket to weigh it down a bit, but thought this could cause a problem if the material used to weigh down the basket inadvertently goes through the pump.

Any ideas on how to solve this somewhat minor issue?

Thanks in advance

Since I started using a skimmer sock, I had to drop a rock too. Seems that the sock increases bouyancy. Anyway, what I really wanted to say is, if the skimmer basket pops up when the pump shuts off, isn't that a sign of some sort of problem with air or backflow, etc?

Poseidon said:
Since I started using a skimmer sock, I had to drop a rock too. Seems that the sock increases bouyancy. Anyway, what I really wanted to say is, if the skimmer basket pops up when the pump shuts off, isn't that a sign of some sort of problem with air or backflow, etc?

I don't think so.

Plastic is usually less dense than water...thus...even when it's perforated...it floats.

I use a mechanical timer to turn my filter on and off, and had the same problem with the basket popping off earlier this season.

I placed a rock in the basket and she now stays seated in the skimmer...no matter what.

Least expensive fix to a pool problem I've run across yet...

It is normal for there to be a little tiny bit of backflow when the pump shuts off. It will be very small, but often enough to move the basket. The filter is presurized and that pressure will go out the intake if the pump isn't preventing it. On my pool nothing really happens without the skimmer sock, but with a skimmer sock it is just enough to flip the skimmer basket and dump all the leaves into the intake pipe. A rock fixes it.

AHA! I brilliant new business idea....Skimmer Rocks for Sale!! Available in three sizes and choice of two colors.

Hmmmm.....I'd better think some more on that. Meanwhile, I'm sending the kids out in the back yard to start bringing in inventory. :lol: :lol:

Reactions: ElGood

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
AHA! I brilliant new business idea....Skimmer Rocks for Sale!! Available in three sizes and choice of two colors.

Hmmmm.....I'd better think some more on that. Meanwhile, I'm sending the kids out in the back yard to start bringing in inventory. :lol: :lol:

Better register TFSkimmerRocks.com!

Yeppers, Grace is right. We use a rock too. Now if someone would just invent a skimmer basket that is weighted!

Hey Dave, I need a piece of those rock sales, since I was the first one to respond!!

Grace, the Queen of PRACTICAL Mermaids

My only clever idea in fifty years and everybody wants in on the act!! :lol: :lol:

(I will consider 10% but the consumer is gonna' have to take the hit)

ANNOUNCING SKIMMER ROCK PRICE INCREASE!! (Still not available for sale and they've already gone up)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.