Do I need a ground rod?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
Bought my Hayward 1HP pump, and it came w/ a 3 prong plug. It also has a spot for a grounding cable on the outside. Should I have a ground rod near my pump and ground it to that? Any specs I should know about for that? I believe the pool itself is an aluminum frame. Should it be grounded as well?

The clamp on your pump isn't for a ground, it's for the bonding wire. The bonding wire connects to your pool walls, ladders, dive stands, slide stands, fences, light housings, SWCGs and anything else conductive that contacts the water or could be contacted by a swimmer while in the water. IF your pool was installed according to code, the bonding wire should have been run to the equipment pad and left unconnected in the event the pump was replaced with one that had a bonding lug.

mkenyon2 said:
Hmm... perhaps this pool was built before that requirement? (Not sure how old it is.)

Since the fence is attached to the frame, and the frame is in the ground, if the frame truly is metal does it still need grounded? (I could try to scrap some paint and see if it's metal.)

It has nothing to do with grounding. It is to connect everything together to ensure that anything which may become energized is at the same potential.

Here's a link to a description that may be helpful Equipotential Bonding

It has been code for a long time, so it's unlikely your pool precedes it. Your conduit for your outlet should be part of the system as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.