No free Chlorine again

May 17, 2010
Olcott, NY
We are struggling with our water again for the Third Year. The past two years we have had chlorine demand issues. The first year we dumped about $800 worth of chemicals to fix the problem. Knowing that these chemicals are not good for our equipment, last year we emptied the pool and started over. This winter we placed a cover over our Rhino cover to keep everything out. We did this because it was believed that the pesticides from the orchards and fields around us were getting into the pool and causing the problem. We opened on Saturday to a very clear and clean pool. We dumped in two 1 pound bags of granular shock on Sunday morning. Results today are as follows. Total Chlorine is 1.3 with 0 free cholrine. PH is 6.3 and Alk is 54. Here is our problem. Our pool chemical supplier wants us to dump 25lbs of alkalinity to bring it up, We did this about two years ago and ended up with a staining mess. Then they want us to dump 10 one pound bags of granular shock. Looking for some help. I would think a better approach is to add Liquid shock (Maybe start with like 4 gallons). Since PH is not that far off (and I was always taught to control PH first) try and bring that up as well. After that, we could add Alk but at lower rates, like maybe 5 pounds every other day. We have an ingound pool/vinyl liner/ about 23,000 gallons of water. Any thoughts.

Welcome to TFP.

Your pH is way, way off. pH is a logarithmic scale, so a pH of 6.3 is ten times more acidic than 7.3. So far off, that it makes me doubt your pool store's test results. I'd recommend you try a different store for testing, or better yet, get your own test kit.

You are correct - start with your PH. :goodjob: Use Borax, from the laundry aisle at Walmart (very cheap) to raise it up to 7.2. Learn to use the Pool Calculator to determine how much that is (I could tell you but I want you to learn how to determine this for yourself. :wink: ) After a few hours, retest both the PH and TA - You should find your TA above 70 and it won't need adjusting after that.

Correct again, liquid chlorine is a better approach - it's cheaper than granular and won't cause liner problems, which that much granular would if you were to dump it in there....

You HAVE to know your CYA level in order to shock properly:
Shocking Your Pool

Your shock level is based on your CYA level - see the chart in my sig. You need to shock your pool because your CC is 1.3.
You need to hold shock level until the FC holds overnight and the CC is .5 or less. To determine this you need your own test kit:

Test Kit Comparison

Plus once you have your own kit you won't have to rely on that supplier for bad advice and chems you don't need. :)

Hope this helps - post back if you have any questions.... :wave:

mark gilson said:
Here is our problem. Our pool chemical supplier wants us to dump 25lbs of alkalinity to bring it up, We did this about two years ago and ended up with a staining mess. Then they want us to dump 10 one pound bags of granular shock. Looking for some help. I would think a better approach is to add Liquid shock (Maybe start with like 4 gallons).

Don't buy any of that junk. It's not needed. Read this site, read about BBB and as mentioned go to the store and buy Borax, Muriatic acid and unscented generic bleach. It's much cheaper and a lot easier to control than anything granular.

Also shock is not a product, it's a procedure. You increase the chlorine level to a point that it 'shocks' the pool and kills all organics.

But as mentioned you have to know what your CYA level is before you know how much chlorine to add to bring it to shock levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.