Vacuum suggestion

Apr 4, 2010
South Jersey
I bought a house with a pool last fall and just had the pool opened. This is my first pool. The vacuum that the previous owners left is beyond repair and I'm wondering what kind of vacuum I should get.

The pool is gunite free form, around 20k gallons, with a pretty big deep end. Our backyard has quite a few trees so I'm expecting a lot of leaves and other junk to get in the water.

Also, the pool had a mesh cover, so it was a swamp when I opened it. I've got it pretty clear now thanks to the advice I've read on this forum, but there is definitely a lot of junk on the bottom still (leaves I think).

If anyone loves their vacuum or has any suggestions I would definitely appreciate it! I'm not even sure what kind to look at.

brianmcb said:
I bought a house with a pool last fall and just had the pool opened. This is my first pool. The vacuum that the previous owners left is beyond repair and I'm wondering what kind of vacuum I should get.

The pool is gunite free form, around 20k gallons, with a pretty big deep end. Our backyard has quite a few trees so I'm expecting a lot of leaves and other junk to get in the water.

Also, the pool had a mesh cover, so it was a swamp when I opened it. I've got it pretty clear now thanks to the advice I've read on this forum, but there is definitely a lot of junk on the bottom still (leaves I think).

If anyone loves their vacuum or has any suggestions I would definitely appreciate it! I'm not even sure what kind to look at.

Hello Brian,

When you say the old vacuum is beyond repair, do you mean a robotic pool cleaner? If that is so, I can't help you because I don't use the Kreepy Krawley that came with our pool.

I can say though that you could make good use of a 20-foot pool pole, a plaster vacuum head, a leaf canister, and a long hose. I don't know your pool to know how you can physically hook this up to your skimmer or vacuum port.

The robotic cleaners are pretty spiffy for maintaining a pool, but it is so handy to have that manual vacuum cleaner with leaf canister in line in the hose. It sounds as if you should have this. Also get a leaf rake to get up some of that junk on the bottom. They are perfect for going after things that fall in and sink just after you've gotten your pool all clean.

There's an encyclopedia of pool equipment in the first section of Pool School that has pictures of all of this stuff and more!

Lana

Thanks for the reply! I got a leaf rake yesterday and got most of the leaves and other gunk off the bottom (actually pulled out enough to fill my wheel barrow). Now all that's left looks like very fine organic matter that would be perfect for a vacuum.

The previous owners left a polaris, but it is completely ruined (they couldn't remember the last time they used it). I'm fine with just getting a manual vacuum.

What is a vacuum port? I don't think we have one... so I guess I would need a vacuum that comes with its own pump?

Maybe something like this? (although I'd prefer if it wasn't battery powered) http://www.amazon.com/Water-Tech-Pool-B ... 085&sr=1-2

With a manual vacuum you can use a vacuum plate in the skimmer. That way you don't have to have another pump and you can also leave your skimmer basket in place. You could use a skimmer sock too to keep your filter from plugging up so quickly.

I have to vote against the PoolBlaster (in your Amazon link). I just returned my fourth one for repair in two years. The problem with them is the motor shaft seal. Grit in the pool water (and you only need the vacuum if there's something to vacuum) quickly degrades the seal. A failed seal allows water into the motor/battery compartment. After a few weeks the motor then fails. Both last and this spring the motor shaft seal failed during the spring vacuuming after under three hours of use.

I do not recommend you use the PoolBlaster as your main vacuum. Get a vacuum head which attaches to your filter via a hose. Either use a vacuum plate or an in-line leaf canister.

Awesome thanks for the input! I'll avoid that vacuum then exchemist, sounds pretty bad.

So I can just drop the vacuum plate in the skimmer, then attach a hose from the vacuum plate to the vacuum head and that provides enough suction to vacuum?

brianmcb said:
Awesome thanks for the input! I'll avoid that vacuum then exchemist, sounds pretty bad.

So I can just drop the vacuum plate in the skimmer, then attach a hose from the vacuum plate to the vacuum head and that provides enough suction to vacuum?

If for some reason that vacuum plate on the skimmer approach doesn't work well for you, and/or you can't ease down on the other intakes to increase suction, you could pull the skimmer basket out and attach your hose directly to the hole in the bottom of the skimmer. You'd then evaluate your large-debris situation and either use a leaf canister in line on the hose (best) or, if the debris is small (later on in the season), just clean out the strainer basket in the pump.

The leaf canister saves you from getting big leaves and other ick clogging your plumbing to the pump, if not using the skimmer basket and suction plate.

Lastly, I love my vacuum hose that is made of many three or four-foot sections. We inherited a mile of it. Some is opaque and some is translucent. I stowed away the opaque pieces. The translucent segments are great because you can see exactly where that one annoying leaf has gotten lodged and you can take that section of hose apart and get the little devil out. :-D

Happy swimming!

Lana

Thanks for the help everyone! I realized the previous owners had also left a plaster vacuum and hose, so I picked up a vacuum plate and vacuumed tonight! Inside my skimmer there are two holes, one leads to the pump and the other to the drain on the bottom of the pool. I had to put a stopper into the bottom drain to get enough suction but was able to vacuum the whole pool after I did that, it looks great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.