Kreepy Krauly - Thruster backup valve -- how to attach

May 18, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I bought a Thruster backup valve for my Kreepy, since it always gets caught on the shallow end steps. However, I bought it used on craigslist and don't have directions. I can't find them anywhere on the web. Does anyone have a pdf of the directions. I am most interested in how to attach it. Does it attach directly to the cleaner, or do I move it back a couple hose sections -- maybe behind the weights? It seems really heavy, and when I attach it between two hose segments it sinks.

I posted this a year ago, and now my pool is open again, and still the same problem. I bought an attachment called the Thruster, and it attached somehow to the hose of the Kreepy. It is supposed to redirect it every few minutes. However, i can;t find directions oh how to use it. Does anyone have experience with the Thruster, and how it attaches

Thanks. I did visit that site before I posted, but the manual is not there. In fact, I've search dozens of sites found on Google, but none have the manual. I've also searched all over this forum. The Thruster has been discontinued by Pentair, and I can't find the manual anywhere. I called Pentair, and they said they could email me a pdf version, but they never did. My first hope is someone on here has a manual. Secondly, I was hoping someone had used it before, and could tell me how to use it. I know to put it between two hose sections. No matter where I put it, it fills with water and sinks, and pulls the hose down with it.

I've added attachments with pix of my Kreepy Krauly and the Thruster. Both pix are from the internet, but mine looks exactly like this.
[attachment=0:2i6ogyei]kreepy.jpg[/attachment:2i6ogyei]
[attachment=1:2i6ogyei]kreepy_krauly_thruster.gif[/attachment:2i6ogyei]

Attachments

• kreepy_krauly_thruster.gif
    kreepy_krauly_thruster.gif
    33.6 KB · Views: 136
  • kreepy.jpg
    kreepy.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 133
That is a 3rd party, add on device, not supported by Pentair.

Have you tried adjusting the donut weights so it doesn't get stuck on the steps? Moving the front weights changes the angle of attack and the way the hose hangs behind/in front (perception).

Scott

This was originally a Pentair product. In the manual and other literature, they recommend using it if you get stuck or go in circles. However, they have discontinued it, and it seems they no longer support it. I was hoping that someone else on this forum has used it before, and could help me. I'll try your suggestion with moving the wights on the hose -- I'm a little afraid to because it generally works well, and I don't want to mess it up.

Well, I trying this for the third year in a row. I have a Kreepy Krauly and a Thruster valve. In the Kreepy manual, they suggest using a Thruster to stop patterns, getting caught, etc. It was made and sold by Pentair. However, its discontinued and there is no documentation I can find. Seems like no one of this forum has heard of it either. Does anyone have experience? I want to know where to attach it -- no matter where I put it between two hose sections, it sinks to the bottom. Anyone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one of the so called thrusters it goes between the 3rd and 4th sections of hose from kreepy propeller goes on kreepy side to keep thruster straight you need hose floats on both sides of thruster and that's pretty much all there is to it

Wow, great, I've found another thruster owner! Thank you for the reply. I have hose weights, the donuts that go on the hose. I don't think I have, or have ever heard, or hose floats. Are these an aftermarket product? It makes sense, since my thruster always drops and sinks to the bottom no matter where I put it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.