Cloudy Pool

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
I will apologize ahead of time for an incomplete set of numbers--I know it is frustrating. I am waiting on my order to arrive, so I am having to go with what I have.

Opened to a green pool two weeks ago. Have run about 15 bottles of 6% bleach through it and while the green is gone, I can't get it clear.

We changed the filter/motor out yesterday and got much better circulation, but awakened this morning to no visual better results. I backwashed this morning and did note a good bit of brown (rust colored) water coming from filter--that's a first so maybe the other motor wasn't clearing out the filter on backwash?

On Thursday, I hung 3# of CYA (before that it was <20). It had sorta formed a rock in the sock, so on Friday evening, I did a lot of shaking of the sock to loosen it up. It is mostly empty this morning.

I had four kids swimming all weekend. When they got out last night, we added 1.4 gallons of 6 % clorox.

Here are my numbers to the best of what I have:

This morning:
FC 8
Ph 7.2

On Saturday @ pool store:
AK 97

Water temp is 83F

I can't test CC, ALK or CYA until order arrives (it's on it's way!). So, I'm running a little blind. I don't know how folks do without complete test kits!!

Attachments

• cloudypool.jpg
    cloudypool.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 186
Okay, got the kit today. Pool still cloudy even after lots of bleach and clarifier.

FC 4.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.1
ALK 90
CYA 50

After these numbers, I added 2.8Gal of 6% bleach and 2 cups of borax. Before these numbers, we had not added chlorine in 24 hours (added 2.8 then). I'm guessing I still have some algae although it looks more cloudy than algae?

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

9am..

FC 15
CC 0.5
PH 7.1
ALK 90

11am
FC 9
CC 1
PH 7.1
ALK 90

Added another 2.4 G of bleach and about 1/2 box of borax.

Is it possible I have high phosphates causing some of my problems? Tons of leaves in pool on start up (probably 15 gallons). Most out now, but not all because I can't see them (I can feel them).

No, high phosphates didn't have anything to do with it. If there are still leaves in the pool, they might be adding to the problem. Leaves create pockets of bad circulation, where algae can hide out and avoid most of the chlorine.

Jason,
I truly appreciate your help.

Unless there are some trapped under the steps (which is highly possible), there are not many leaves left on the bottom...just a few loose ones scattered here and there. I got all I could but since I can't see the bottom, it's impossible to know if I got all of them. As soon as I can see, I will carefully move the steps and clean there..I'm sure that spot is probably a bad area as I've not cleaned under it AND the circulation there is bad.

I know you're going to sigh and shake your head, but I went and traded an arm for a bottle of phosphate remover yesterday ($42 at the pool store). I did it before reading your above post...out of desperation. I had them test it and the phosphates were high (1500 if I recall correctly--the water turned medium blue). So, I added the suggested amount about noon yesterday.

At the pool store yesterday, the rest of my numbers were totally crazy. They gave me like a 2FC although I'd added 2.4G of bleach about thirty minutes prior to my sample AND I had tested myself prior to adding and had FC 8. I just chose to ignore their numbers and go with my own.

This morning's numbers:

FC 14
CC 0.5
PH 6.8
ALK 100
CYA 50 (did not test, using number from two days ago).

My ph was 7.1 yesterday (before I added the phos rem), so I'm praying it isn't far below 6.8. I will add borax later to bring it back to 7.4 range (gotta go get some).

Pool looks better this morning, I can actually see the bottom step...but still pretty cloudy. I feel like we may be finally getting ahead of the algae though.

After above numbers, I backwashed and then added 1.4G of 6% bleach because I'm not going to check it again until this evening.

My FC was 9 at dusk last night and then hubby added 2.8G, also we got 1.5-2" of rainfall overnight, so that looks pretty good, eh?

-When I poured the bleach in, I noticed a mucous-like white substance forming in a few places. Is that the phosphate remover?
-something else strange..After adding the DPD powder, my water turns pink then clear. After I add the #2 titrating agent, it goes back to pink. This has just started happening yesterday. I'd think my powder old except the pool store's sample did the same thing yesterday...turned pink then white. They threw it out and repeated; assuming their reagent was bad. I didn't say anything. Mine did that again this morning. Any idea why it's doing this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the FAS-DPD test, at high FC levels you sometimes need to use more powder. The symptom of turning pink and then going back to clear/white/gray means you need to add more powder. The results may be lower than actual if you don't add enough powder.

The PH test will often read higher than actual when the FC level is above 10. If you have a moment when the FC level is below 10, test the PH again and see where you are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.