Getting ready to clean my swamp.

May 17, 2010
Mooresville, NC
Hey everyone,

New here to the forum and also to pools. Just got done reading Jason "Turning your green swamp" thread. It looks to be a great starting point for me. Anyways, as I said I'm new to the pool thing. My wife and I just bought a 5 year old foreclosure with a 3 year old in-ground pool. The house has been vacant for 2 years now and the pool has been covered the whole time. I peeled part of the cover back yesterday to see what the water looks like and it's nasty. I can only see about 3-4 inches down. I did notice that it looks to be a tiled pool which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I have a friend coming over today to see if he can get the pump going (he has some experience). After that I'm gonna go get one of the test kits from Jason's article and start the process. FUN FUN FUN!!!! lol.

Well wish me luck and I look forward to learning from everyone here.

Thanks for the replies. Well we took the cover off and checked all the equipment. Everything looks good. Looks like I'll have to get a new seal for the little see through cover on the pump, but besides that everything else worked. Here's the only problem! I can't get water to pump. I checked the skim pocket and it feels like there is a bunch of sand blocking the pipe. :( Gonna drain the pool this weekend some so I can see instead of just feel. Wish me luck!!!

Well everyone thanks for the warm wishes. It's been awhile (don't have the www hooked up yet) and here is what I've done. I replaced all the sand in the sand filter. Finally got the filter up and running. I am finally filtering. YAY!!! I think I need a new pressure gauge though, It reads about 40 when not running. :) I have ordered the Taylor T100 kit and of course it won't be here for awhile with the holidays and all. I got the water tested but I forgot the sheets at my friends house. I need to go get them. I know the CYA is 0 right now. That's all I remember. When I get the www I'll post pictures and fix my sig so I can show my specs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.