Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to clean my swamp.

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to clean my swamp.

Hey everyone,

New here to the forum and also to pools. Just got done reading Jason "Turning your green swamp" thread. It looks to be a great starting point for me. Anyways, as I said I'm new to the pool thing. My wife and I just bought a 5 year old foreclosure with a 3 year old in-ground pool. The house has been vacant for 2 years now and the pool has been covered the whole time. I peeled part of the cover back yesterday to see what the water looks like and it's nasty. I can only see about 3-4 inches down. I did notice that it looks to be a tiled pool which I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I have a friend coming over today to see if he can get the pump going (he has some experience). After that I'm gonna go get one of the test kits from Jason's article and start the process. FUN FUN FUN!!!! lol.

Well wish me luck and I look forward to learning from everyone here.
    Hayward sand filter & super pump, Pool is weird shape but rough figures are 23x10x4.5 for a volume of 7800 gallons. Fiberglass shell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready to clean my swamp.

Good luck! After lots of hard work it will be worth it.
    Plano, TX
    25,000 Gallons, Plaster, DE Filter, No SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Good luck - we're here to help
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum

Be sure to take plenty of pics cuz we know you will want to share them with us
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

best of luck! You're only days (or hours) a way from an oasis!
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies. Well we took the cover off and checked all the equipment. Everything looks good. Looks like I'll have to get a new seal for the little see through cover on the pump, but besides that everything else worked. Here's the only problem! I can't get water to pump. I checked the skim pocket and it feels like there is a bunch of sand blocking the pipe. Gonna drain the pool this weekend some so I can see instead of just feel. Wish me luck!!!
    Hayward sand filter & super pump, Pool is weird shape but rough figures are 23x10x4.5 for a volume of 7800 gallons. Fiberglass shell

7. Back To Top    #7

if it ends up being a clog...a drain king garden hose attachment can work wonders, just be sure to undo the lid on your pump
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome, Good Luck, and get started ASAP!!!!! ohh ya post some photos of the progress!
    23000, Sand, IG, Plaster, Century Pool/Jetted Tub Motor 1.5HP, Rainbow Lifegard Feeder Model 300

10. Back To Top    #10

Well everyone thanks for the warm wishes. It's been awhile (don't have the www hooked up yet) and here is what I've done. I replaced all the sand in the sand filter. Finally got the filter up and running. I am finally filtering. YAY!!! I think I need a new pressure gauge though, It reads about 40 when not running. I have ordered the Taylor T100 kit and of course it won't be here for awhile with the holidays and all. I got the water tested but I forgot the sheets at my friends house. I need to go get them. I know the CYA is 0 right now. That's all I remember. When I get the www I'll post pictures and fix my sig so I can show my specs.