Is it worth it?

Jul 13, 2007
This is a loaded question but I am sure that I can count on some honest responses. We are on the verge of starting our pool and we are getting "cold feet". There seem to be so many issues to contend with...cost only being one of them. Sooooo......Is a pool worth it?

From an ROI perspective - no. You have to want a pool for other reasons. If those other reasons don't seem to be compelling enough for you to make the investment, and commitment to ongoing maintenance - you're better off doing nothing at this point.

You may or may not derive a lot of enjoyment from a pool, but if you really don't enjoy it, you'll eventually come to resent it.

Perhaps you should table the motion until next year.

I have to agree with Gimpy. I would never try to talk someone into getting a pool. It's like telling someone else they should marry or have kids. It is a lot of responsibility. I had several people tell me I shouldn't get a pool, but my wife and I wanted it so badly we did it anyway. There are no regrets on our end, and we've enjoyed the heck out of it so far. Your results may differ.

If you know the responsibility involved, YES 100%. I for one find it to be much LESS work than I originally thought it would be, but that is because our first pools were nightmares of algae and chemicals. BBB made it much simpler.

We use our pool almost daily during the season and in the off-season, I find myself SOOO anxious for spring opening I can hardly stand it. I find my Zen in the pool.

I personally grew up around with a pool and have many fond memories associated with it as kid. I knew when the opportunity arose I wanted to have a pool of my own some day. Now I finally have one and me a family absolutely love it! Hopefully my kids will be able to enjoy some the long lasting experiences that I had as a kid.

I don't find maintenance to be that difficult, although it does take some time - testing, vacuuming, repair, etc. I spend probably about 2 hours / per week on that type of stuff during the swim season. I also find the cost to acceptable for us, and we are on a pretty tight budget. We spend about $25/ month on chemicals and a little more on our electical bill to run the pump, but that is about it. There are plenty of toys and gadgets that can run the cost up, and I would like to get plenty of them when funds allow, but they are really not needed.

This is just a little insight into my pool ownership. Hope it helps you with your decision.

Riles

Hmmm.... for me YES. I had never had a pool before and was talked into a SWG b/c I was told that it is sooo low maintance. "You don't have to do anything to it but add salt when the system says so". Ahhhh ignorance is bliss. Then reality slapped me in the face. Suddenly I was faced with ph,ta,muriatic acid, aeration, scale, shocks, etc... Care and maintance is left up to me. It has taken some time to get used to and I am still not 100% I know what I am doing but...... I love having a pool. My kids love having a pool. So for me, all the testing, worrying, adding chems, cleaning is worth it. And I think that is where it becomes such a personal choice b/c you have to be okay with the maintance side not just the swimming side......work not just play.

BTW - when we first discussed having a pool, I was totally on board. Then the day they were out marking our pool, I went into panick mode. I was having nightmares and kept thinking I was going to regret it. This lasted about 3 weeks and then it subsided. I again felt this way when I realized how much maintance went into it and felt so lost about what needed to be done and was I going to ruin the pool???? But then I found some great sites that have literally walked me through the process. I have no regrets and I love having the pool. However I have only had it for about 4 months so9 maybe ask me in a couple years .....;). Good luck on whatever you decide.

I have enjoyed our pool, but as with the others, its no where worth the expense. That being said, I think the same can be said for any landscaping one does around his/her property. I love sitting on the deck at nite and seeing the lights shine off the pools surface. If I was to buy a new house, there is no question a pool would go back in again, but only this time I would do it myself. I am sure one can easily save 40 to 50% of the costs.

Take the plunge, both financially and emotionally, I am positive you and your family will enjoy it thoroughly. The BBB certainly can make a pool easy.

Rik

rockyboy said:
This is a loaded question but I am sure that I can count on some honest responses. We are on the verge of starting our pool and we are getting "cold feet". There seem to be so many issues to contend with...cost only being one of them. Sooooo......Is a pool worth it?

The thing most people forget about when making this decision is the upkeep and maintenence of a pool. If you are the kind of person who wants something to "just work" without understanding how or why, then think long and hard about a pool...it's not a microwave or DVD player. If you are the kind of person who (like me!) actually read owners manuals and like to know how things tick, you will be fine!

So many people buy a pool, aren't taught or have no desire to learn about water chemistry, the pool turns green and they get "pool store'd" into buying hundreds of dollars in chemicals/equipment that doesnt work. They then get disgusted with the amount of money dumped into a hole in their yard and either the pool gets filled in or covered and forgotten. It's not hard, but many people just don;t want to take the time to learn. In our society we want a easy, quick fix that will set everything straight and those things don't exist in the pool world.

The fact that you are even here asking speaks volumes however...you won't regret it, and we won't let you fail!

Yea, I think you're in the wrong place if you're looking for objective opinions. Most of the people here are so obsessed with maintaining pools that they feel the need to talk about it on a message board - myself included. It's a condition commonly referred to as Pooliosis. I cleaned some guys dirty, nasty pool last week end because I thought it would be fun to test myself and my BBB prowess. I'm a sick individual in need of intensive psycho therapy. Please give all you can to my new Charity for Pooliosis recovery - I promise the money will be well spent:

patton14059.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We didn't really consider a pool at all until we started house-hunting for our next house. When we saw a few had pools, we started hoping we'd find one with a pool. While it wasn't a make/break criteria for us, we were really happy when we found a great house AND it had a pool. We absolutely love having our own pool and would really miss it if we didn't have it anymore. However, we would be very unlikely to add a pool, if a house doesn't already have one. For the amount of money a pool costs to install, we'd find a million other things that would come first.

I think your nervousness about it is very normal.

I've never built a pool. Always bought homes that had pools and I love having one.
If I had to sign on that dotted line to plunk down $x dollars, I'd be just as nervous - even though, I know I don't mind the maintenance - you always worry, am I picking the right builder, is the equipment going to work properly, is the whatever, whatever.

I'm the same way when I make any big purchase - whether it be a new home, new car, etc. I always get a sick feeling at the commitment of it, whether signing a contract or plunking down a check with all those digits.

Aside from all the usual trepidation, if for some reason it is also stressful for you because it may be a financial squeeze to pay for it, then I would advise against it.

Fortunatly we didn't have to pay for our pool, came with the house. Adding a SWG will make maintanance easier. Personally, I enjoy cleaning and putzing around the pool. Of course, I also have a 'bot to help the cleaning too.

Agreed with others that its hard to justify financially, but there's a lot of things like that in life (traveling for example).

Kevin

Many of you hit the nail on the head....except for the pooliosis guy :-D My wife reminded me that I have been the same way on every major purchase for the past 20 years! Guilty as charged. She also claims that I have adult attention deficit disorder (AADD) so I look forward to puttering around the pool and I am confident that if I have any problems, this forum will help in a big way. Thanks to everyone for all the the honest insight. In the end, I think it makes sense for what we are trying to accomplish which is having family time by the pool, a place where our kids and their friends feel comfortable and like to hang out, and a place to simply relax and make memories. We are not big travelers and tend to be homebodies. We feel blessed to even be able to seriously consider such a luxury, much less actually make it happen. For some reason, the Mastercard commercials keep popping into my mind....PRICELESS!

Michael Silvester said:
D*mn, Brian...I thought I was the only
one that had it bad.

Pooliosis Rehab...Here we come :lol: :cheers:

Take Care,

Michael Silvester

"Dear Dr. Phil, we've all read the story of the stolen pool, water and all, well, I'm just itching to, euh, "grab" a water sample from my neighbor's pool, it has this green tint to it and it bugs me, has been for two years, so I want to ...test it. Just test it. I know it's wrong, I know it's trespassing but I really want to know . . . copper, iron or algae? I would never actually do it fearing the headlines the next day: "Perplexed homeowner reports 250 ml missing from family pool, suspect seen fleeing scene with wash bottle . . . By the way does the Dr. Phil House have a pool?"

All silliness aside though, I don't think it's about the pool per se, but the pool as a "family magnet" complete with BBQ, good food, great conversation, that is certainly well worth it.

This is the exact reason I went with a Intex metal frame pool 15x48 at the begining of this season, I upgraded the filter and use the Intex chlorine generator with it, I kept thinking I don't want to spend to much money to find out it's something I can't handle or my children won't enjoy cause once you dump all that money into a nice pool there is no turning back. For me everything has worked out great and the Intex pool was a very nice learning tool for me and the family has enjoyed very much, next season I will be moving up to a more permanet pool that I'm sure my family will enjoy for years to come, now I'm debating whether to go for a inground or a nice above ground pool.

CaOCl2 said:
Michael Silvester said:
D*mn, Brian...I thought I was the only
one that had it bad.

Pooliosis Rehab...Here we come :lol: :cheers:

Take Care,

Michael Silvester

"Dear Dr. Phil, we've all read the story of the stolen pool, water and all, well, I'm just itching to, euh, "grab" a water sample from my neighbor's pool, it has this green tint to it and it bugs me, has been for two years, so I want to ...test it. Just test it. I know it's wrong, I know it's trespassing but I really want to know . . . copper, iron or algae? I would never actually do it fearing the headlines the next day: "Perplexed homeowner reports 250 ml missing from family pool, suspect seen fleeing scene with wash bottle . . . By the way does the Dr. Phil House have a pool?"

All silliness aside though, I don't think it's about the pool per se, but the pool as a "family magnet" complete with BBQ, good food, great conversation, that is certainly well worth it.

I love it! :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.