Is it worth it?

pooladdict said:
Well said rockyboy.

After rereading all these posts, we all have one major thing in common...OUR FAMILY'S NEAR US AND GATHERED AROUND THE POOL.

Nothing will bring a family closer, and the price of that is indeed "PRICELESS"

Rik

That sum's it up! If you are financially able and really want it, it will be the best decision you ever made- no regrets here! Just do your homework and spring $$ for all the dreams now. After it's in it you'd hate to say, i wish i would have done this or that.

If you find yourself second guessing, maybe you should hold off.
A pool is a big decision, a huge change in your yard and life, if it's an AG pool, yeah, you can unload it relatively easy and not lose too much, but if it's an IG, it's relatively permanent and you're stuck with it, if you don't end up liking it or wanting to deal with it, it almost forces you to move, so now the question is - are you willing to give up your wonderful home because your pool idea didn't pan out? In the end, I believe it's all personal preference, anyone telling you it's worth it is speaking for themselves, it HAS to be worth it for YOU, it has to be 100% your decision and you have to be into it 100% because you cannot reverse it.
If you're asking the question whether it's worth it or not, my recommendation would be - don't do it...yet, sleep on it some more because you obviously haven't made YOUR mind up 100%.

I too, am on the fence regarding having an IG gunite pool built. I've been as far as staking out the yard, three estimates (so far), and extensive internet searches and forum browsing. I'm not worried about wether or not I'll enjoy the pool. I know that I will.

I'm more concerned about the amount of time required to keep the water clean, or more precisely, the amount of time I can leave the pool unattended while I'm at work. I work offshore oilfield construction in the Gulf of Mexico and am away from home for weeks at a time sometimes, particularly in the summer months. I don't mind working around the house/yard when I'm home, but I spend 3-4 weeks out of 6 offshore, and don't want to come home to a slime pit every time I get home.

How often do you guys pull maintenance on your pools? and what type of automated system could I install that would at least marginally keep up with things while the pool is unattended. I do have friends that would be more than willing to help out (eager actually), but don't want to rely solely on volunteer help.

Pool cleaning services? How much do they actually charge and do for you? Are they worth it?

To the OP...not trying to hi-jack your thread really, just thought responses to this might help you too.

Thanks for any input on the subject...

There is very little expereince with being away for weeks at a time. Some people here have managed it once or twice, but doing it repeatedly is far more difficult. With fresh plaster in the first year it might well be impossible, constant acid additions are required. After the first few months of fresh plaster, with a SWG, a main drain, and careful chemical balancing you can be away for a week safely, but three or four weeks would be really pushing it. Adding a PH sensor and acid feed pump, like the one I have in my Total Control system, along with an automatic water level system would both help signficantly. But I would still worry about more than two weeks. But I don't really know, as I said no one has really experiemented with that much.

Hi Belldiver -

I do not think you will find much details on how much pool service costs since most in this forum maintain their own pool. I know many people that never touch their pool and have a pool service come and maintain it for them and the water looks good. As for establishing that balance in a new pool, this definitely would require more than a weekly service.....I just filled my pool and have been testing/adding chemicals daily based on need.

To be able to get the details you would like, I recommend starting with your local pool store for recommendations. Other resources would be pool builders in the area or other pool pwners that use the service.

Ask many questions and you shoudl be able to get some decent info on whether it it worth it or not for you.

We put in a pool last year and DH only went along with it because I really wanted one. Half the family loves it and half can take it or leave it 1 year later. I do all the maintenance with the 8 yo'lds help. Very easy and the pool is in much better shape than the house. Don't rush into it, it is a big investment. That being said, I love my pool and very glad we put it in even though I take care of it on my own.

Our house came with a pool and we're very happy with it. As we look at other houses for potential purchase, having a pool is a pretty big consideration for us. The main reason is that we could probably never justify putting one in ourselves, but we know we'd really love to continue being pool owners.

I do all the maintenance on the pool, but my kids are showing a bit of interest in "playing chemistry" with me when I test the water.

If you have the money and don't have the time but want a pool then i would go for the most automated system possible and hire a pool service, most likely with the company that installed your pool, since they will be more likely to look after the pool as many of the items are under warranty and its more $$$ in their pocket. Like buying a new car and having all the service done to it by the dealership. They will do all the vacumning, backwashing opening/closing chem balance for you. I saw a price list for our local pool company that will look after your pool for the summer (May-Oct) open and close for $2500.00. I have no idea if thats high or low but you may have to factor in more if your pool is open all year round.

There are many people who have pools that don't lift a finger to look after them, they usually live in the big houses and drive big mercedes benz's. :) doesn't mean that their pool is worse or better off than ours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crazycanuck said:
If you have the money and don't have the time but want a pool then i would go for the most automated system possible and hire a pool service

What kind of automated systems are available? I know you can put a timer on the filter pumps and that SWCG's require less tinkering. Are there other automated systems?

I'd rather do the job myself, and will when I'm home, but hiring a pool service may be the price I have to pay for working offshore and having a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.