cloudy water

Jul 12, 2009
fac .5
ph 7.4
ta 140

that is all the numbers that i can remember. i have shocked with 2lbs and have run about 4-5 oz of clarifier but it is still very cloudy. the pump has been running 247 and back washed 1x a day. what do i need to do now?

bradly1166 said:
what do i need to do now?

You can start by providing just a little more pool info :goodjob: ...pool size and CYA reading is probably most crucial at this point. What was the ingredient of that 2lbs of shock you added? Your water is likely clouded up due to low FC...but at this point you likely will not get great advice, b/c we need full test results to help.

ok well i will get them up tomorrow. going to have the water resteted at the pool store.. ( i really need to invest in one of the test kits i keep reading about on here..) what do you mean the ingredient of the shock?? i didnt know that there are diffrent kinds.. honestly i thought it was all chlorine..no?? i am still kinds new to all this and i really dont have a clue about what i am doing other than trying to keep the wife and kids happy :wink:

yeah...I hear ya on trying to keep the family happy. Yes there are diff kinds of shock and actually shock is something you do to your water (raise FC to shock level) vs something you add. What is marketed as shock is just that a marketing slogan for the type of chlorine you are adding.

I would strongly suggest investing in the TF100 or taylor k2006 before conteplating a SWG and master the concepts in Pool School (button on upper right of this page) and you will be on your way to a trouble free season...I know this site did wonders for us last season :goodjob:

The drop based test kit gives you reliable/repeatable test results, that coupled with the concepts in Pool School and the Poolcalculator.com tool will tell you most of everything you need to know...Good luck!

I got the numbers from the pool store today

FAC 2
TAC 2
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 45
TDS 350
CALCIUM HARDNESS 50

the girl there also told me that my stabalizers are getting high but there isnt a spot on the water analysis sheet that shows the stabalizers. how would she know that they are high?

also the water is clearing up. on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 9 now its more like a 2-3. do i keep running the clarifier and the filter? or do i just run the pump and filter and hold off on more clarifier?
how are the numbers? do yall recommend anything??

With CYA at 45, you want to keep your FC level between 4 and 8, and never below 4, for normal usage. Your FC level has been below 4 both times you posted test results, so that is almost certainly your problem.

Stabilizer is one of the names that is often used for CYA. With your CYA level at 45, I would say that your CYA level is just about perfect.

If you have a vinyl liner pool, your CH level is fine. If you have a plaster/pebble/quartz/gunite pool then your CH level is too low.

I don't think you have completed the shocking process.
Shocking Your Pool

You need to make sure your FC is holding overnight - at the proper shock level (see the CYA chart).
Once your FC is holding overnight, then you can let it drop to your "normal" levels - it can take several days to a week after all the algae is dead for it to clear up. I would not use clarifier unless the FC is holding overnight.

....going to have the water resteted at the pool store.. ( i really need to invest in one of the test kits i keep reading about on here..)
how are the numbers? do yall recommend anything??
Just go ahead and 'invest' in one of the test kits you keep reading about! :)
It should last several seasons, will save time and money and put you in control of your pool!
I recommend the TF100, link in my sig.

Here, you can compare recommended kits: pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Please add your pool and equipment specs to your signature. Go to User Control Panel, select Profile, then Edit Sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.