Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water

fac .5
    ph 7.4
    ta 140

that is all the numbers that i can remember. i have shocked with 2lbs and have run about 4-5 oz of clarifier but it is still very cloudy. the pump has been running 247 and back washed 1x a day. what do i need to do now?
    24 ft round ABG 4.5
    2 hp pump with 200 lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy water

Quote Originally Posted by bradly1166
    what do i need to do now?
    You can start by providing just a little more pool info ...pool size and CYA reading is probably most crucial at this point. What was the ingredient of that 2lbs of shock you added? Your water is likely clouded up due to low FC...but at this point you likely will not get great advice, b/c we need full test results to help.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

ok well i will get them up tomorrow. going to have the water resteted at the pool store.. ( i really need to invest in one of the test kits i keep reading about on here..) what do you mean the ingredient of the shock?? i didnt know that there are diffrent kinds.. honestly i thought it was all chlorine..no?? i am still kinds new to all this and i really dont have a clue about what i am doing other than trying to keep the wife and kids happy
    24 ft round ABG 4.5

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah...I hear ya on trying to keep the family happy. Yes there are diff kinds of shock and actually shock is something you do to your water (raise FC to shock level) vs something you add. What is marketed as shock is just that a marketing slogan for the type of chlorine you are adding.

I would strongly suggest investing in the TF100 or taylor k2006 before conteplating a SWG and master the concepts in Pool School (button on upper right of this page) and you will be on your way to a trouble free season...I know this site did wonders for us last season

The drop based test kit gives you reliable/repeatable test results, that coupled with the concepts in Pool School and the Poolcalculator.com tool will tell you most of everything you need to know...Good luck!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

yeah i have been reading through the "pool school" trying to learn what i can about this stuff.. but i will check in tomorrow with more results to see just what i need to do.
    24 ft round ABG 4.5

6. Back To Top    #6

I got the numbers from the pool store today

FAC 2
    TAC 2
    PH 7.2
    TA 120
    CYA 45
    TDS 350
    CALCIUM HARDNESS 50

the girl there also told me that my stabalizers are getting high but there isnt a spot on the water analysis sheet that shows the stabalizers. how would she know that they are high?

also the water is clearing up. on a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 9 now its more like a 2-3. do i keep running the clarifier and the filter? or do i just run the pump and filter and hold off on more clarifier?
    how are the numbers? do yall recommend anything??
    24 ft round ABG 4.5

7. Back To Top    #7

With CYA at 45, you want to keep your FC level between 4 and 8, and never below 4, for normal usage. Your FC level has been below 4 both times you posted test results, so that is almost certainly your problem.

Stabilizer is one of the names that is often used for CYA. With your CYA level at 45, I would say that your CYA level is just about perfect.

If you have a vinyl liner pool, your CH level is fine. If you have a plaster/pebble/quartz/gunite pool then your CH level is too low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't think you have completed the shocking process.
    Shocking Your Pool

You need to make sure your FC is holding overnight - at the proper shock level (see the CYA chart).
    Once your FC is holding overnight, then you can let it drop to your "normal" levels - it can take several days to a week after all the algae is dead for it to clear up. I would not use clarifier unless the FC is holding overnight.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

....going to have the water resteted at the pool store.. ( i really need to invest in one of the test kits i keep reading about on here..)
    how are the numbers? do yall recommend anything??
    Just go ahead and 'invest' in one of the test kits you keep reading about!
    It should last several seasons, will save time and money and put you in control of your pool!
    I recommend the TF100, link in my sig.

Here, you can compare recommended kits: pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Please add your pool and equipment specs to your signature. Go to User Control Panel, select Profile, then Edit Sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!