Getting white cloud out the pool jets on Aqua Rite Startup

Maxliv

May 16, 2010
Hi everybody,

Just started my goldline Aqua rite salt system last week. I was getting a white cloud coming out of the jets on startup of the salt system. Called goldline support and they told me the water was probably not balanced... So this week-end I made sure the water was perfectly balanced and started up the system again. I still got this white cloudy myst coming out of the jets... ! My salt system
is a year old btw and to my knowledge it was properly cleaned at the end of last season.

If any one knows the cause of this...Please let me know !

thanks,

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have a variable speed pump running on a relatively slow speed? If so, those are hydrogen bubbles coming from the SWG cell. Some people have had some success at getting rid of the bubbles by doing a quick acid wash of the cell. You can also make them far less visible by running the pump at a higher speed.

Thank you for the quick reply !

following your questions, I have a hayward superpump 1.5 hp. The system was working perfectly last year. The only thing that I did notice different is that I have visible air bubbles that I can see through the pump's glass. I don't know if the pump is sucking air through a crack somewhere and this little air presence could affect the salt system ?

Thanks,

Hum, I guessed wrong. Alright, same concept, the clouding is from bubble, just a different source of bubbles than I thought.

A SWG system will always produce some hydrogen bubbles when it is operating, but normally they are very small and nearly invisible. There is a special situation with a variable speed pump on low speed where the bubbles from the SWG can become visible, but that isn't going to happen with a single speed pump.

If you can see bubbles in the pump basket then there is an air leak somewhere that is allowing air to get into the pipes and it is presumably those bubbles that are clouding up the water. Just to double check, the cloudy mist coming out of the return(s) dissipates after not to long, so that the cloud stays near the return(s) and doesn't spread through the pool, right? If so then it is certainly bubbles of some type.

The most common ways air can get into the pump are: The lid of the pump strainer basket might not be sealing correctly, check it for nicks or debris and make sure it fits on tightly. Air can also be pulled down the skimmer if the water level is a little low. If a vortex forms in the skimmer that can draw air down into the pipes. Usually you just need to raise the water level in the pool a little, but sometimes this indicates a stuck weir door. Another possibility, less easy to trace, is a leak somewhere in the plumbing between the skimmer and the pump.

Update !!!

Just to let you guys know that my pool repair guy replaced a elbow leading in to the pump yesterday and the problem was solved... The elbow had a tiny crack in it and bringing air in the pump. so after much research it was definitily the air in the pump that was creating the white cloud whenever the salt system would turn on.

does the cloud disappear when you turn the SWG off but keep the filter running?

So - similar issue as reported, but I have this issue where if SWG is turned off, the cloud goes away. I have a T9-Aquarite generator. I'm just getting started this year. Water temp is low 71F. Since you asked this question, it feels like you know why this happens. I'd love to know what you were about to reply with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.