air in basket only on skimmer

banger

May 16, 2010
Hi
I have an IG fiberglass pool with Hayward equipment. THis year after opening I had air in the pump basket but only when running the skimmer. when pulling from bottom drain or half bottom/half skimmer there was no air. The air fills about half the basket. Even though there is air in the basket, there is very little/few bubbles from exhaust. several days after opening I have not seen any signs of a water leak, level remains constant. I replaced basket gasket and lubed it with O-ring lube. I'm thinking some type of blockage in the skimmer line. Hope this is not indicating an underground leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Joe

Welcome to TFP!

Is the weir (little flappy door thingy) on your skimmer blocked? Confirming also that your skimmer stays full of water and doesn't appear to be pulling air into the system?

hey thanks for the quick reply. My skimmer doesnt have a weir and there doesn't seem to be any air entering the skimmer intake. The suction is pretty good. I actually vacumm that way with good suction.

Can you take a picture of your skimmer both inside the pool and with to top off outside your pool and post them? Most skimmers should have a weir, it makes them work better. Yours might be on that doesn't but a picture should tell us more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.